a baby...

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited November 12, 2009 in People
I'm not a "people" photographer, and am much more comfortable when shooting sports and I'm passable with landscapes.

This year, I've been pushing myself towards lighting. I still don't like it and after spending many hours studying it, I think I got myself to the point where I don't despise lighting anymore, but I still have a long way to go....

The kids came around the office for halloween and I actually had my camera/flash with me since I was waiting for a shipment from BH. I saw this nine month old stumbling down the hallway, and I figured I should give it a try. I tried chasing the kiddo into a corner for a cleaner background than cubical walls (fail), the mom picked up the kid, I lined up, exposed, and grabbed about four or five frames.

This was one of them....

I must say that I'm pretty please with it and I hope the parent's will be pleased.
697858544_5XcSK-X2.jpg

C&C appreciated and welcome. I'm still so very new to this... I need to know how to improve.

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    it's a nice shot. nice comp, colors..maybe touch too warm but that is just my taste. I think the lighting looks great. Were you using ring light?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    The lighting is great! I'm excited because I should be getting a used ABR800 ring light in the mail some time next week. Yeay!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Very nice shot, IMO. Yeah, I was wondering if you were using a ring light.
    Color seems good to me, perhaps a bit to the red (likely reflecting off his jersey).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    It is nice April, but the catch light from the ring flash takes a bit of getting used to for me.

ann
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Thank you so much for the feedback. And yes, it's an orbis ring-flash that arrived from BH that day; it was the reason why I brought my camera/flash to work.

It was an impulse buy -- i been stressed and it was on sale for $30 off -- ne_nau.gif -- I couldn't resist. Yes, I am weak and I know it.

David Hobby is doing a comparison series on it, and I think the ABs will win in the final conclusion, but for a portable, small flash solution, I'm pretty happy with it. I was able to exposure within minutes of putting it on my flash and the result is pretty fantastic and much better than any other quick method. I could probably get some good results with a softbox, or a bedsheet with a large light source, but this is quick and dirty method.

I was shooting against a buttery-tan colored wall and the kiddo was a red ladybug which resulted in the warmth of the shot. I also know that some do not like the circle catch light (maybe not used to it?). I also tried removing it completely, and the image was scary looking and mimicked a smaller catch light instead.

Is this version better?
    700218336_yXdQj-X2.jpg
    edited November 1, 2009
    Beautiful!!! I like the skin tone better here.
    Edit: I've gotten used to the ring lights. I still find them a little wierd, but they aren't a deal-breaker for me. I like your edited lights better, FWIW.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    I LOVE this version! What a cute baby :) I was thinking that the perfect circle catch lights were on the odd side. I'm glad you redid this. It is perfect! A gorgeous shot of a gorgeous baby! Have fun with your new toy clap.gif
    edited November 2, 2009
    Thank you very much for the feedback everyone.
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Edit: I've gotten used to the ring lights. I still find them a little wierd, but they aren't a deal-breaker for me. I like your edited lights better, FWIW.
    Should I always turn the circle catchlight into little slivers instead?

----
    I am curious -- do we (as photographers) dislike the round catchlight because they seem odd compared to the normal pointed catchlight from a flash?

Talking to non-photographers and non photo people, they either don't care about the catchlight or don't even know that it's there.

What happens if I use a really big softbox and it leaves a really big catchlight? Do I try to remove that too?
    edited November 2, 2009
    Personally I try to leave the eyes alone, because my PP skills are kinda limited and I'll mess them up if I try cloning anything. I think it's a matter of looking at a lot of images, looking at catchlights, and the little O's being different. For me, it's that extra 'pupil' in the middle of the O that bugs me. I think if they were just solid circles, I wouldn't care at all. For some images it works since it makes the eyes more 'funky' in my book. Bear in mind these are just my tastes and what makes me tick. I'm just an avid amateur (no one has paid me for a picture -- though they like the feebies...)
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    I think lay folk don't care about the shape of the catchlights..they just see "sparkle" in the kids eyes. Photographers might care..I personally don't. I think the ring catchlight looks fine.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    I think lay folk don't care about the shape of the catchlights..they just see "sparkle" in the kids eyes. Photographers might care..I personally don't. I think the ring catchlight looks fine.

+1! I love the unique catchlights made by ring lights and prefer the first. This is a great new toy and I'm so envious. I've wanted a real ringflash for the longest time and the cheapie one I have doesn't really cut it. I'm glad to hear that they're becoming a bit more affordable now. thumb.gif
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    +1!
    Same here. I do like that the edit is less warm, but the ringflash catchlights are fine for me as well. What I like about catchlights, and this may sound weird, is it tells me about the photographer.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    I have no problems whatsoever with the circular catchlights in one, I have to say. I prefer the color in the 2nd, but I prefer the 1st, shotwise. I'll bet his parents were happy thumb.gif
    edited November 12, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I actually printed the photo on metallic.

The parents LOVED it. No one can believe it was taken at work and not a studio.