lens choice

nikgonenikgone Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited November 2, 2009 in Cameras
Hi,

I'm an amateur who disliked XTi's body size and decided to go with 40D. I really have no money to acquire any better gear than a kit lens and a 50 f/1.8.

What kind of lens would fit my use the most?

1. pictures of friends in various setting.

2. food

3. landscape

4. gathering (i guess its kind of like no.1)

I know its impossible to find a lens that is so versatile that can do all of the above, but given I only have 1k to spend what would be the lens (of combo of lenses) that can deliver stunning picture quality under those scenarios.

BTW, I have some special interest in 35mm f2 and 85 f1.8....would any of those be an asset to my lens collection?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 2, 2009
    For family gatherings and events, as well as many simple landscape opportunities, a "standard" or "normal" zoom lens is widely used and desirable. If the "kit" lens is just not producing the image quality that you desire, but is otherwise about the right field-of-view (FOV), then you might be ready for a better standard zoom.

The Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di II is a very nice upgrade over the kit lens, and capable of professional results. It normally would be coupled with an external flash and flash modifier for best results for indoor events, and to provide fill light for outdoor events. Upgrading the lens alone without providing proper light probably would not give you the results you desire.

I would also add a tele-zoom, like one of the 70-300mm(ish) inexpensive models from Tamron or Sigma. Used outdoors in the 70-200mm range and stopping down a bit should give very acceptable results in good light.

The combination of standard zoom and tele-zoom gives an awful lot of capabilities, along with the 50mm, f1.8 you have. Add a competent flash and use the flash properly and you can accomplish much of what you desire.

Food photography is a challenging segment of product photography and would require some more control over lighting, including extra lights and modifiers, to do properly. I suggest that you may need to learn some more techniques before attempting food photography.

The Tamron 17-50mm that I mentioned plus a Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro would make a pretty good basic 2 zoom kit. Throw in a Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash unit and you should be near your $1000 mark. (Buying used lenses from a competent company like KEH, Adorama or B&H would extend your money somewhat.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Just wanted to put in a plug for the Tamron 17-50 - you can find them for ~300-320 used, and it's a great all round short zoom lens, and definitely a cut above the kit lens.
  • EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    I would grab something wider than you have. I don't know much about canon, but something like a 24 or 28 would be nice. I don't know how much the sensor crop is on a 40d but that should give you a good focal length if it is close to 1.5 like nikon.