Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #37: Fill the Frame (Single Exposure Challenge)

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited November 16, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #37

Welcome to Round #37 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, November 2, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5) to Monday, November 16, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Fill the Frame (Single Exposure Challenge)

Time to get up close and personal with your subject! Whatever you shoot, your main subject should fill the majority of your frame. It should be in your audience's face as much as you get into its. This round introduces a new twist: the single exposure challenge. Your photo must comprise only one frame. This means no composites, no HDR blends, no photomerges, no diptychs or triptychs. One frame. One EXIF. You may do as much post-production as you like on the image, but it must contain only one frame. Good luck!

Your Judges:
JAG (Winner of Round 34)
anonymouscuban (Guest Judge)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a Smugmug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.

Comments

• Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    (Single Exposure Challenge)

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    YAY
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Yep. I think I'm going to like this one. Too bad there's no limit on focal length so people really need to get close. :giggle Now the only question is what to get close to, and how to distract all the visitors I have showing up in the next two weeks.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Yep. I think I'm going to like this one. Too bad there's no limit on focal length so people really need to get close. :giggle

15524779-Ti.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Just a wee technical thing, are you guys still using daylight time? :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    pyry wrote:

No, we just switched this past weekend. Which means Baltimore is off by only 15 minutes now. (Reference to George Carlin's Hippy Dippy Weatherman.)rolleyes1.gif
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    pyry wrote:

First post corrected! :D
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    First post corrected! :D

Yay, one more hour to procrastinate with! clap.gif

(pssst, GMT offsets)
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Single image, but what about cropping??? Just trying to help clarify!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    (pssst, GMT offsets)

Silly globe. rolleyes1.gif
    HoofClix wrote:
    Single image, but what about cropping???

Ahem.
    Llywellyn wrote:
    You may do as much post-production as you like on the image, but it must contain only one frame.

Cropping = post-production, yes? deal.gif
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited November 2, 2009
    Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with! I will be staying out of the threads for a couple weeks and will check in occasionally on this thread to say hi! Gives me time to get started in packing for my cruise! Whoo who! Just 31 more days!clap.gifclap.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Silly globe. rolleyes1.gif

Ahem.

Cropping = post-production, yes? deal.gif

Just makin' sure Llewwy... I suppose in a crude sort of way it is post-processing. I kind of think of it as "post-hacking," as in hacking this post... Remembering the days when cropping meant burning your paper, then pulling out the straight-edge and just cutting the darn thing up!!:D
    Mark
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Great theme, Kerry - I'm glad you figured out a way of incorporating the single exposure idea! thumb.gif
    michswiss wrote:
    Yep. I think I'm going to like this one. Too bad there's no limit on focal length so people really need to get close. :giggle Now the only question is what to get close to, and how to distract all the visitors I have showing up in the next two weeks.

Which actually might be an idea for another challenge: one particular focal length. Most people have access to either 35mm or 50mm, yes? Just a random thought for the future.... :D
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Which actually might be an idea for another challenge: one particular focal length. Most people have access to either 35mm or 50mm, yes? Just a random thought for the future.... :D

You might want to go with 50 since to get a true 35mm on a crop-sensor canon, you'd need a 22mm lens (1.6x factor). Nikon, I believe, is 1.5x. Most folks have a kit zoom that hits 31mm to get a net of 50mm.

Interesting theme, Kerry. Having the subject material so wide open is a very different challenge. The single image isn't so much a problem as I've only ever tried a couple of composites and they ended up in the delete bin.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    prodigal photographer
    I've been away a long, long time.

I highly doubt anyone will remember me from the LPS challenges but I have to say how happy I am to be back in the game. I look forward to entering this new challenge and getting reacquainted!

Yay wings.gif
  • Options
    PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    indiegirl wrote:
    I highly doubt anyone will remember me from the LPS challenges

Welcome back Indie! Always enjoyed your photos and perspective...who could forget "devoted sisters" from LPS #7 ?
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    indiegirl wrote:

I highly doubt anyone will remember me from the LPS challenges but I have to say how happy I am to be back in the game. I look forward to entering this new challenge and getting reacquainted!

Yay wings.gif

Nice to see you again Jesse! I doubt anyone from the LPS crowd can forget that you were the inventor of the unofficial feedback! Remember you always challenged us to beat the judges :D

Welcome back!
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Welcome back Indie! Always enjoyed your photos and perspective...who could forget "devoted sisters" from LPS #7 ?
    I had to do a little digging to find the image Paul is talking about. Here it is:

167156237_ywy6r-L-1.jpg

Love it ... and welcome back!
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    indiegirl wrote:

Yay wings.gif

I for one never forgot you. Noticed your absence and went on the look see into the "You!" section to see nary a trace of you... "devoted sisters" was hardly the only shot that is unforgettable. Well, I can't remember the name, but I remember the apple in the hand shot... Many more..

Welcome back. We've missed you.. Make way newbies, the levels just rose..
    Mark
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    indiegirl wrote:

Yay wings.gif

I was not here at that time, but by visiting your galleries I will surely remember you from now on :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    divamum wrote:

I shoot almost exclusively with the 50mm, so I'm for it!

I'm excited about this round also. Hopefully I'll actually have an idea this time :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    I'm excited about this round also. Hopefully I'll actually have an idea this time :)

Your non-idea is in the voting round....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Was going to sit this round out--Have a photo project I want to work on---but I almost can't resist the challenges now and I got an idea brewing!

Indiegirl--that is an awesome shot--
    I don't know you but I hope now to learn from you (I'm a noob). Anyone that came up with the feedback thread sounds like good people.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    :duel
    indiegirl wrote:

Yay wings.gif

Indiegirl is back!:ivar
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Was going to sit this round out--Have a photo project I want to work on---but I almost can't resist the challenges now and I got an idea brewing!
    I hate type. I misread the inflection to imply you didn't have an idea last contest... (or weren't happy with it).
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Ah, yes. I remember this feeling--the near-obsession of planning for the next challenge! Thanks for the warm welcome back. I'm honored to be in the company of such cool cats friday.gif

I'm so excited for this one.
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Welcome back! clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Back to the rules for a sec.
    If I take a photo, load it into Photoshop, in layers, duplicate the first or background layer,
    do a bunch of stuff to each layer independently, then merge them, is this still one exposure, or is
    it more like a singe exposure HDR?
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    As long as it's just one photo, not second and third frames/photos, on the layers, yes, it's still one image. Just don't bring in anything that would add another laundry list of EXIF info. thumb.gif
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    As long as it's just one photo, not second and third frames/photos, on the layers, yes, it's still one image. Just don't bring in anything that would add another laundry list of EXIF info. thumb.gif
    Thank you.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.