Spot on view finder lens

JoeRidesJoeRides Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited November 5, 2009 in Cameras
I have a Nikon D90 which I purchased about a month ago. While in Florida I took it out to shoot some shots off the balcony and going from cool to hot, the lens frosted over. After the fog cleared on the lens, I noticed what appeared to be a water spot on the view finder reflector inside the camera. I took it to a local camera shop seeking advice and the told me they would ship it off to a shop that would clean it for $180.00.

My question is, can I clean the reflective lens myself with a quality lens cleaning kit or would I be better advised to send it off?

Note: The spot does not show up on photos nor does it affect photo quality or focusing. With a lens off, looking into the camera body you can see the reflective lens and the spot on it.

Thanks!

Rick

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 2, 2009
    Welcome to dgrin, Rick.

Are you sure it is on the mirror when you look in the lens box? Sharply defined spots in the viewfinder are usually on the under surface of the pentaprism on the ground glass. Those can be carefully cleaned.

Are you sure it is a water spot on the mirror, or could it be a dust mote? A dust mote might just blow off with a rocket blower. I would at least try that or a camel's hair brush first.

The silver, moveable, mirror beneath the pentaprism is a front surface mirror and will scratch very easily, since the silvering is Not protected by the glass of the mirrror as most typical home mirrors. My first suggestion is to just ignore it since it is never in your image files, and of little consequence.

If it offends you so much that you feel it needs removed, you might consider using a sensor swap moistened with Eclipse VERY gently. You can potentially scratch your front surface mirror if you are not careful - that won't hurt your images, but will hurt your feelings. Or send it off to be cleaned by a pro. Your call.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • JoeRidesJoeRides Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 5, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Welcome to dgrin, Rick.

Are you sure it is on the mirror when you look in the lens box? Sharply defined spots in the viewfinder are usually on the under surface of the pentaprism on the ground glass. Those can be carefully cleaned.

Are you sure it is a water spot on the mirror, or could it be a dust mote? A dust mote might just blow off with a rocket blower. I would at least try that or a camel's hair brush first.

The silver, moveable, mirror beneath the pentaprism is a front surface mirror and will scratch very easily, since the silvering is Not protected by the glass of the mirrror as most typical home mirrors. My first suggestion is to just ignore it since it is never in your image files, and of little consequence.

If it offends you so much that you feel it needs removed, you might consider using a sensor swap moistened with Eclipse VERY gently. You can potentially scratch your front surface mirror if you are not careful - that won't hurt your images, but will hurt your feelings. Or send it off to be cleaned by a pro. Your call.

Thanks so much for the information. I believe it is on the ground glass, at least that is what the gentleman at the Photo shop said it was. It is more of an aggravation and embarrassment than anything. When people ask to see my camera, the first thing they see and say is what is that spot on the lens? Kinda takes away the luster of the camera. I guess I'll save some cash and send it off to be cleaned as I certainly don't have the expertise to do it and don't want to make matters worse.

Thanks again for the response, sorry so long in getting back in here but have been tied up lately on a few home projects.

Thanks!

Rick