BOO to HP for a bad joke -- FYI

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited November 2, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Hey all,

Just an FYI.

I bought a Photosmart Plus to go with my new Win 7 Pro (64) machine with the idea that I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time connecting it to my home wireless network. WRONG!!!!

I set it all up last night, following the somewhat cryptic video and printer screen instructions. It works fine on my hardwired machine, but so far I've got 2 hours into getting my XP netbook to talk to the printer. Amazingly enough, the netbook can find it and print to it as long as I set it to the "HP Setup" wireless network, but the printer itself cannot find my home network even though it is sitting 1.5 feet from my router.

I'm pretty good at solving tech problems eventually (and I'll take all suggestions here) so I'm sure I'll get it to work but the idea of plug it in and go is a seriously demented joke.

BOOO on you HP
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    There are all kinds of issues getting XP PC's to "talk" with Vista machines much less Win7 and a standalone printer. The horror..... the horror....
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Right on Newsy.

Actually, I don't mind tech issues. They're kind of demented fun to solve. What angered me was that I bought this printer precisely so I could avoid getting XP and Win 7 together. the idea was that the printer had it's own wireless connector that my XP machines could use without going thru my Win 7 machine.

BUT ALAS, IT WASN'T TO BE
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 2, 2009
    BUT ALAS, IT WASN'T TO BE

I feel your pain, John. My home net has XP, 7, OS-X, and Win2K and it wasn't exactly a cake-walk to get it to work. I would focus on getting the printer to recognize your existing home network. There is probably a printer configuration utility that needs to be given the Windows workgroup name. Check it out. deal.gif
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Thanks Richard.

As of tonight the problem is solved.

I came home tonight, held the printer out the window and threatened it with the garbage can. Then I came back inside, downloaded an HP utility and followed the instructions that a nice guy who works for HP gave me on another site.clap.gif I figure he saved me between 3 hours and six days of some really bad cussin'.:grim

Then it worked and my XP netbook will now talk to the printer without need of it's snooty cousin 7.

However, I repeat:

ONE TOUCH WIRELESS MY BUTT FLIPA.gif