Options

other photo hosting sites?

holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited November 6, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I currently use smugmug and love it. however i hate the fact that there is no coupon codes.

I am also looking at zenfolio and photocart.

I like customization, but it is not a must. Giving clients a coupon and them letting choose their photos is a big plus and enough to make me switch.

I also would like the ability to have categories and subcategories, like smugmug has.

any other suggestions or examples would be appreciated.

Thanks.

jason

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Do a search around these forums and you'll find many threads talking about Zenfolio. It has its advantages but at the end of the day there's a reason why we're still here.

There are trade-offs with any of the services. You just need to look at each company's feature list and see what you can live with and what you can live without.

We have no idea when coupons are coming to Smugmug but we do know they hired someone to work on just that. Now that these last few updates have rolled out perhaps it'll actually happen. We've seen a screen-shot of it so you'd think it would be here before too long. Still, they've been "in the works" for a long, long time.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    There are other sites? Who knew.................headscratch.gif:D

Sam
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    There are other sites? Who knew.................headscratch.gif:D
    You see, that's one of the reasons I love SmugMug - could you go to the Zenfolio forums, for example (do they even have a forum like DGrin?) and ask for information about competitor hosting sites? I suspect that at a lot of other forums, those kind of discussions about the benefits of the competition would get shut down fairly quickly.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    moose135 wrote:
    You see, that's one of the reasons I love SmugMug - could you go to the Zenfolio forums, for example (do they even have a forum like DGrin?) and ask for information about competitor hosting sites? I suspect that at a lot of other forums, those kind of discussions about the benefits of the competition would get shut down fairly quickly.

you shouldn't suspect but find out.

anyhow....my susbscription renews soon, i love smugmug, but the lack of coupons is wearing me down.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    holzphoto wrote:
    but the lack of coupons is wearing me down.
    Me too :uhoh

We're working as hard and fast as possible on them. They're coming, you won't be disappointed for much longer, I hope.
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    moose135 wrote:

I'm sure these threads don't get shut down because overtime you'll probably be convinced either by members or personal use to stay with smug. I've done the trial on zenfolio and was confused, lost and frustrated. From the beginning Smug has been incredibly user friendly and the staff have been freaking amazing. I haven't see any reason to leave..... bowdown.gif
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    squiddy wrote:
    I'm sure these threads don't get shut down because overtime you'll probably be convinced either by members or personal use to stay with smug. I've done the trial on zenfolio and was confused, lost and frustrated. From the beginning Smug has been incredibly user friendly and the staff have been freaking amazing. I haven't see any reason to leave..... bowdown.gif

That was my experience with Zen as well - I came away confused. Nothing seemed intuitive about the user interface. Now, perhaps if I hadn't been using Smugmug for years that wouldn't have been the case, I don't know. But I do know that I wasn't going to waste any more time figuring it out. I'm a pretty tech and web savvy guy - if I can't figure out how to make galleries do what I want them to do I'll pass.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    i was also looking at http://www.picturespro.com/ - photocart.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    holzphoto wrote:
    I currently use smugmug and love it. however i hate the fact that there is no coupon codes.

I am also looking at zenfolio and photocart.

I like customization, but it is not a must. Giving clients a coupon and them letting choose their photos is a big plus and enough to make me switch.

I also would like the ability to have categories and subcategories, like smugmug has.

any other suggestions or examples would be appreciated.

Thanks.

jason

Have you looked at Exposure Manager? I switched to them awhile back when I was doing a lot of event photography (racing) but stayed with Smugmug for general photo sharing.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu