Options

Image size

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited June 1, 2004 in Finishing School
OK, you Photoshop people....I seem to have some images come into PS at 180 dpi and others at 96 dpi. What gives? Does it make any difference? I have to resize for the out put device anyway, but I would sure like to know what determins how it's brought into PS.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited June 1, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    OK, you Photoshop people....I seem to have some images come into PS at 180 dpi and others at 96 dpi. What gives? Does it make any difference? I have to resize for the out put device anyway, but I would sure like to know what determins how it's brought into PS.
    I am not sure Sam, but I think that the "size" and dpi of your image is determined by the algorithms your camera uses when it saves the image as a jpg. It seems to vary from model of camera to model of camera for me too. It may vary depending on what quality jpg image you specify in your setup screen on your camera also.

The "size" does not really matter - what REALLY is important is the total number of pixels horizontally and vertically. This determines the maximum size image you can print without uprezzing and adding pixels by interpolation with your imaging editor.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am not sure Sam, but I think that the "size" and dpi of your image is determined by the algorithms your camera uses when it saves the image as a jpg. It seems to vary from model of camera to model of camera for me too. It may vary depending on what quality jpg image you specify in your setup screen on your camera also.

The "size" does not really matter - what REALLY is important is the total number of pixels horizontally and vertically. This determines the maximum size image you can print without uprezzing and adding pixels by interpolation with your imaging editor.
    I have a digital Rebel.
    All the different dpi numbers are with one camera, and all the camera settings are the same. (As near as I can tell.) I have read through the Canon manuals and Photoshop with out even a mention of this. Oh well maybe it will fix it's self. :D