Sneak Preview: First Toddler Shoot

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited November 3, 2009 in People
So this is only the second time I've shot children, the first being a newborn session a couple years ago. I crazily jumped right in to this toddler shoot for a good friend...crazily because it was with fraternal twins! My goodness, I never knew 18-month-olds moved that quickly. :huh I got a workout and a half trying to keep up with them to snag some shots.

Just downloaded everything late last night and slowly going through my cull rounds. Here are three that jumped out at me so far.

All shot in natural light with my 50mm at f/2.8.

701149886_vsAkG-L.jpg

701152144_msZvE-L.jpg

701153970_b3pkc-L.jpg

Forwarded these to my friend, the mom, as a preview and she could just "kiss them all up!" :lol3 I can't wait to deliver the full set to her.

Thanks for stopping by! :thumb

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    The usual "wow"!! Nice job.... and I know that you haven't always enjoyed kid stuff, so double good on ya!!! thumb.gif

I particularly love the colours and processing in the first one - did you do anything special, or was it just the leaves and light which did it?
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    I know that you were not the happiest person with this shoot, but I think you did wonderful.

I think the first one is the winner about the bunch.

How was the light during the shoot? Did you shoot in open shade? Or did you plan it so that you had good light?
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    I upped the vibrance in LR a bit for the first two, but haven't had a chance to do anything else yet. The light and colors had to do with amazing conditions yesterday: it had just stopped raining a few minutes before, so all those leaves were wet, which saturates the color naturally, and it was completely overcast. Gotta love that giant softbox in the sky. :D

My friend called, worried about the weather conditions, but I told her they were pretty near perfect conditions for me. thumb.gif
  • FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    I love the third one. What a great shot!
    Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    The colors in #1 are so wonderful. Perfect hair color for the day!!!
    #2 looks a bit soft (perhaps compression?) but otherwise a lovely shot -- he looks sagacious!
    Love #3 for the father/son connection and fun!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Super bunch! Their eyes are gorgeous. I would have NEVER guessed twins though....The top child looks much older. Goodness, I hear you on the difficulties of shooting kids. Under age 3 is a rough world! I put my baby on the floor and he is gone in 2 seconds flat. My 3 year old can run like the speed of light. My 7 and 10 year olds are a DREAM to shoot except when they get moody and don't want to pose, lol! I can't wait to see the rest of these. I took some of my 9 month old on Halloween and it had rained and the pumpkin and grass were soaking wet. I agree that it really helps with the lighting and sat of color. I wish I had of had those big beautiful leaves as you had. They really add a lot to the picture Good job dealing with tough subjects!
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    #1 is really nice! thumb.gif I really like the second one, but it feels like it needs something, PP wise. #3 is just cuteness overload :D