Options

Indoors Long Island NY?!

FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited November 5, 2009 in Location, Location, Location!
Anyone from this area and know of a good location to shoot indoors? I have a family shoot next week and I am not sure what the weather is going to be, I want to have backup in case it's cold, overcast and rainy, as it has been the past weekends. Any ideas?!

TIA
Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~

Comments

• Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Fstoplife wrote:
    Anyone from this area and know of a good location to shoot indoors? I have a family shoot next week and I am not sure what the weather is going to be, I want to have backup in case it's cold, overcast and rainy, as it has been the past weekends. Any ideas?!

TIA
    What kind of location are you looking for. I am originally from there, though I don't live there now.
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    how many people?
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    Its two little girls. I was thinking of calling the EAB plaza, but it's not decorated and they are Jewish. I am praying the weather holds out and it will be nice, but I need backups! I was thinking for outdoors to either do Eisenhower Park, by the memorial part or, well actually thats all I have. We are in Nassau County if that helps at all.

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    Planting fields arboretum has great locations outside and inside. There is a castle/mansion and beautiful greenhouses for your indoor shots as well as beautiful gardens if the weather is nice. http://www.plantingfields.org

I know the castle is closed in the winter so check it out and make sure what date it closes.
    My Website
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    They make you get a permit if your a professional so if you show up with a bride and groom you will get charged. Since it's 2 little girls you should have no problem. If they ask if your a professional just tell them no, your an amateur hobbyist. By the way, The main greenhouse has great lighting and perfect backgrounds.
    My Website
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    I second what David said.

I would also add Old Westbury Gardens to the mix. Not sure about their policies, though their website is here: http://www.oldwestburygardens.org/

Can't think of any indoor spaces right now.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    The indoor sections at old westbury close October 31

The mansion at Planting fields isn't open anymore either until April but the greenhouses are open year round and are rather warm in the winter. The link below has the info.

http://www.plantingfields.org/contact2/Index.html
    My Website
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    I am not sure what the rules are about shooting here, but it may be worth a call:

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/CountyExecutive/NewsRelease/2008/2-27-2008.html
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    If this is a legislative building there is probably a metal detector and bag check. For security reasons I highly doubt you can take photos indoors here.
    My Website
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    dtw78 wrote:
    If this is a legislative building there is probably a metal detector and bag check. For security reasons I highly doubt you can take photos indoors here.
    I tend to agree.....just trying to think what is out there. I have never been there, but maybe the Cradle of Aviation Museum may offer some cool shots.

I think Hofstra University (South of Hempstead Turnpike-which is an Arboretum) would also offer better outdoor shots than Eisenhower Park.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    I've heard that about Hofstra, I just wasn't sure if you could just show up and take pics, I wasn't sure of the policies. Maybe I will suggest there. I am hoping that this weekend the weather will be warm enough, and not windy that we can be outdoors, I love shooting natural light and outdoors.

• Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    I graduated from hofstra. You can take pics on campus the problem is parking. if you park on campus you need a permit and if you don't have it you will get a ticket. The best bet is to park in the dunkin donuts parking lot and walk over. No places to shoot indoors worth while though.
    My Website
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    So the weather is supposed to be 62 and nice out, so we are going to be outdoors. I am going to look into Hofstra, any other locations in this area? Thank sooo much!

• Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Fstoplife wrote:
    So the weather is supposed to be 62 and nice out, so we are going to be outdoors. I am going to look into Hofstra, any other locations in this area? Thank sooo much!
    eisenhower park is right in the area.
    My Website
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    I went to Planting Fields Arboretum about 1.5 months ago.
    I couldn't get shots in the greenhouses because they were too crowded--We got there about 1 hour after it opened and meandered our way to the greenhouses. Maybe if you get there right as it opens you'll have better luck. I didn't get any shots inside the greenhouse, but I did get some shots outside on the lawns and by some trees, it's a gorgeous place, but go scout the place ahead of time as it's large and there are so many places to take good shots, but they are not easy to find, I stumbled across a few.

Here is a link of some of my shots--keep in mind I'm not a pro, I'm a beginner, but I'm just saying the place definately has potential.

http://lizzardnyc.smugmug.com/Other/Arboretum/9701892_W8Axy#P-1-18

BTW, the lighting inside the greenhouse was glorious.

EDIT, I just went through my shots again #38 and #39 are in one of the greenhouses, they are tight shots as I wanted to avoid other people, but maybe you get a smidge of an idea about the lighting. Hope it helps. Again I'm new, so don't go by my pics, just an idea for location.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    I went to Planting Fields Arboretum about 1.5 months ago.
    I couldn't get shots in the greenhouses because they were too crowded--We got there about 1 hour after it opened and meandered our way to the greenhouses. Maybe if you get there right as it opens you'll have better luck. I didn't get any shots inside the greenhouse, but I did get some shots outside on the lawns and by some trees, it's a gorgeous place, but go scout the place ahead of time as it's large and there are so many places to take good shots, but they are not easy to find, I stumbled across a few.

Here is a link of some of my shots--keep in mind I'm not a pro, I'm a beginner, but I'm just saying the place definately has potential.

http://lizzardnyc.smugmug.com/Other/Arboretum/9701892_W8Axy#P-1-18

BTW, the lighting inside the greenhouse was glorious.

Crowds shouldn't be a problem in November. I got there as it opened in August and had no problem.
    My Website