Options

Co-operative Ventures

timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
edited November 2, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I saw this post by Angelo in another thread here: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1252805&postcount=25
The organizer is asking for a commission to be paid to them for any prints you sell? Not unheard of; Probably for allowing you the opportunity to shoot their event. Your choice entirely. Start at 10% if you like.
and it rang a bell with a question I've been scratching my head over.

This past summer I was passing through a town when they were holding a decent sized car show (~300 vehicles all told), so I proceeded to shoot almost every single vehicle in the show, post-process, and post the images to SM the same day for grins and practice.

Of course, there were all kinds of people with P&S and other cameras, and I got an idea of doing something co-operative with the organizing group which is mostly composed of volunteers, wherein I would shoot a future event, they would publicize it in the show guide, the P&S folks would get some good imagery, SM would fulfill the orders, and we'd share the proceeds.

While both I and the show organizer think this idea is a great idea, the issue we haven't figured out is how to structure it. They get 10% of profits? 20%? Charge them upfront x$ / vehicle to ensure a minimum charge to me, then credit the organization back with proceeds from sales?

I'm thinking others have run into this before - so I'm wondering what others have done.
  • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc