Buy this please... or else!?

rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited November 5, 2009 in Street and Documentary
608416425_uqbtA-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    If it was not so cluttered behind her, it would be a good picture...
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    If it was not so cluttered behind her, it would be a good picture...
    Sorry, Aaron, but it's about what's behind her!rolleyes1.gif. To be perfectly frank, this does nothing for me - but it would do much less without the background.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Sorry, Aaron, but it's about what's behind her!rolleyes1.gif. To be perfectly frank, this does nothing for me - but it would do much less without the background.

Absolutey!
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    .........I knew that....this head cold is really messing me up.....ug....:cry:cry:cry
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Aaron, B. D., and Sara, thank you for looking and commenting.

"Objects in the lens may be closer than they appear" may also be an apt title for this. I was walking in this artisan's market when I heard a "flute" playing "Twinkle, Twinkle..." (although it sounded like the "ABC Song"). This vendor was playing this turtle, and when she saw me looking at her, she closed the distance incredibly quickly, and stuck this flute in my face ("Buy this!"). With no room to back up, I defended myself by sticking my camera in her face...

Anyway, I believe this captured the sense of an overly aggressive market vendor.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    Aaron, B. D., and Sara, thank you for looking and commenting.

"Objects in the lens may be closer than they appear" may also be an apt title for this. I was walking in this artisan's market when I heard a "flute" playing "Twinkle, Twinkle..." (although it sounded like the "ABC Song"). This vendor was playing this turtle, and when she saw me looking at her, she closed the distance incredibly quickly, and stuck this flute in my face ("Buy this!"). With no room to back up, I defended myself by sticking my camera in her face...

Anyway, I believe this captured the sense of an overly aggressive market vendor.

For what it's worth - I believe this is a classic example of the photographer believing that the backstory is somehow conveyed by the image, when the image doesn't contain a hint of that back story. To you, she was aggressive - she moved "incredibly quickly; she "stuck this flute in my face;" she exclaimed "Buy this!" But none of that comes through in the image. Instead, we have a very straight forward image of an older woman holding a ceramic turtle in a shop full of 'stuff.'

Shoved the flute in your face? It undoubtedly felt that way. But...Here's a photo of someone shoving something in my face...rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

555359268_cuDHB-XL-1.jpg
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    For what it's worth - I believe this is a classic example of the photographer believing that the backstory is somehow conveyed by the image, when the image doesn't contain a hint of that back story. To you, she was aggressive - she moved "incredibly quickly; she "stuck this flute in my face;" she exclaimed "Buy this!" But none of that comes through in the image. Instead, we have a very straight forward image of an older woman holding a ceramic turtle in a shop full of 'stuff.'

Shoved the flute in your face? It undoubtedly felt that way. But...Here's a photo of someone shoving something in my face...rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

555359268_cuDHB-XL-1.jpg

You are right on in your assessment. I posted without comment to see if it evoked any "backstory" or impression of the vendor since it always elicited some emotional response from me. Even in your photo, it is unclear that he is sticking his lens in your face or whether you went to him to take this shot of him with his monster lens.

I might've bought the flute if she played it better...:D

Thanks for the commentary.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    You are right on in your assessment. I posted without comment to see if it evoked any "backstory" or impression of the vendor since it always elicited some emotional response from me. Even in your photo, it is unclear that he is sticking his lens in your face or whether you went to him to take this shot of him with his monster lens.

I might've bought the flute if she played it better...:D

Thanks for the commentary.

Well, it's a "she" - who knew, right?rolleyes1.gif - and I was photographing at an anti-choice demonstration and she started harassing me, coming right up to me, shoving her video camera into my face. It's not a monster lens, it's a lens shot close up. But if that isn't clear, my point should be even clearer. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Well, it's a "she" - who knew, right?rolleyes1.gif - and I was photographing at an anti-choice demonstration and she started harassing me, coming right up to me, shoving her video camera into my face. It's not a monster lens, it's a lens shot close up. But if that isn't clear, my point should be even clearer. rolleyes1.gif

My "she" looks meaner, but the "Cannon" she is pointing in your face is undoubtedly more threatening than the turtle... rolleyes1.gif