Is Nikon's metering better than Canon's? or the otherway around?

wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
edited November 3, 2009 in Cameras
Hi All,

I just recently upgraded from Nikon D70s to a Canon 7D. What I took for granted on the Nikon series, well, I am learning is not so much "granted" in the Canons.

Specifically I am speaking of Spot metering and how even the old Nikon's used your current focus point for spot metering. The Canon 7D(latest and greatest), DOES NOT do this. It spot meters from the center of the frame. So, basically, I would have to meter, recompose a shot. Or zoom in and zoom out.

Before I go and return the 7D since this is a big deal for me, I wanted to find out from you all.

Whose Evaluative/Matrix metering is better for landscapes? and for outdoor portraits? Canon's or Nikon's?

With landscapes sometimes having a wide dynamic range and outdoor portraits dealing with bright backgrounds...I am curious to your experiences and your thoughts.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WildViper
From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead

Comments

• insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    The only complaint about nikon matrix metering is that different models may differs in character. Some are tuned to preserve highlights, some preserve shadows, some expose backlit scenes for foreground, some for the back round and so on..

However I have found that as long as you play with the metering for awhile (get to know it a little) it is very predictable and consistent.

To my knowledge, and from I hear from my canon buddies. The 50D and later seem to have better metering than before. I have ask them (like you, I was very curious), "How well is the metering.?"
    The ones shot older Rebels and 20-40D, 5D models seems to have it stuck on center-weigh. And matrix metering deemed unreliable (inconsistent and unpredictable).

BTW, selectable spot metering is very important to me too.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 3, 2009
    You are right to consider Nikon "Matrix" metering and Canon "Evaluative" metering in the same genre and they are very similar.

The Canon metering, in the model 7D, has the following modes:

• Evaluative metering (linked to all AF points)
    • Partial (9.4% at center)
    • Spot metering (approx. 2.3% at center)
    • Center-weighted average

Additionally, you may lock metering with the AS Lock button.

This gives considerable flexibility, but I'm not sure either the Nikon metering methods or the Canon metering methods can be considered "better" over the other. Both are very competent in experienced hands.

Ever since Canon added E-TTL II flash metering, it too is very similar to Nikon's i-TTL flash metering, making both systems capable. I do believe there are differences in how different cameras relate flash and ambient metering, and how those relationships change during different modes of operation. To see how Canon flash systems relate, read Pathfinder's explanation and practice until you understand it. thumb.gif

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=70330
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums