Lets do the time warp

RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
edited November 5, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I have such difficulty taking these stage shots at a local theater. The lighting is always fairly dim and all over the color temp spectrum. I don’t really like using my strobe because I just end up with monster shadows, and when I use ambient light I have to kick the ISO up to at least 800. Also often times they use smoke, so when I use a strobe it just looks like crap with the smoke.

Any tips tricks or advice.

Here is my most recent attempt. I am happy with a couple of them, but really want to improve.

Dr Disecto

702086455_pgJrE-L.jpg

Lets do the time warp again....

702086858_vhxSR-L.jpg

Tadda...

702087377_YkB6b-L.jpg

702088750_uRtf7-L.jpg

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    How fast a lens were you using? f/2 or better really makes a difference. Also, if ISO 800 is a problem, the best solution (though not inexpensive) is to get a better camera. With my old Rebel XSi, I wasn't comfortable going beyond ISO 400, but with a 5D Mark II, I can go to 1600 without worry, and push it to 3200 if absolutely necessary.

As I was just noting in another thread, last Friday I used an EF 35mm f/2 on my 5D2 at a dimly-lit Halloween party, mostly at ISO 3200. Looking at the shots, you'd think the room was lit by floodlights.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    No C&C here, but I think they are good. I especially like the last one.
    Randy
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    I'm using a Nikon D200 with a 3.5 18-200 VR

As much as I would like a markII type camera, It is out of the question for me right now.

Rwells... Thank you
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Hi Roadkill.......I like the set .... I'm like Randy, I like #4 the best.... I find the first one to be a little soft, and may have a little color cast to it..... I think with a little PP the first one could be as sharp, and have the pop the last one has.......thumb.gif Why don't you rent a lens with fast glass for a night, and see if that helps you get the shots easier ....... azzaro
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Roadkill wrote:
    I'm using a Nikon D200 with a 3.5 18-200 VR

I don't know that much about Nikon lenses (being a Canon shooter myself), but from a quick search online, the only Nikkor 18-200 VR that I saw was f/3.5-5.6, which I would not consider an acceptable low-light lens -- even f/3.5 at the short end is a bit too slow, to say nothing of the f/5.6 at the long end.

If you're going to stick with the D200 for the time being, and not use a flash, then you need faster lenses. Basically, you can either get faster zooms (probably at least two of them, since nobody that I know of makes a fast 18-200mm zoom), or buy even faster primes in the most useful focal lengths for what you're shooting. For the zooms, stick to f/2.8. For primes, get f/2 or better. An f/2.8 zoom isn't cheap, so if that's beyond your budget at the moment, a couple of inexpensive primes may be the best solution. I see that Nikon has 35mm and 85mm f/1.8 lenses that are each less than $400. They seem to get good reviews.

You also mentioned difficulties with color temperature. I think the best solution to that is to shoot RAW and do your own white-balancing on the computer.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    I liked them all -- really curious about the play :D
  • tpodonnetpodonne Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    I think you'd do yourself a huge favor ramping up your ISO to 800 and hitting up borrowlenses.com for a faster prime lens, or two. I also shoot with a d200 and had issues last Christmas shooting some family pics in our living room which had awful lighting and was using the 18-200 f3.5/5.6 lens.
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Its a nice set....

Try a 50 1.8 cheap and good
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
    edited November 5, 2009
    Thank you for all the tips and advice, guess it's going to come down to equipment.

Azzaro wrote:
    I think with a little PP the first one could be as sharp

What kind of PP could be done to help this image?

borrowlenses.com what an interesting site.
    edited November 5, 2009
    This is what I think........ If you like it, then I will go through the steps.....

704009560_QLGm6-L.jpg
    edited November 5, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    This is what I think........ If you like it, then I will go through the steps.....

Deffinetly made it look sharper, what did you do to it.. Thank you..:D
    edited November 5, 2009
    Roadkill wrote:
    Deffinetly made it look sharper, what did you do to it.. Thank you..:D

I use Nikon Capture NX2........I used black point and white point and a High Pass.....and some minor adjustments..... What program do you use for pp? If you want a little more explanation....Drop me and e-mail......azzaro