Options

Flash issue with Friday Night football

Graham CrackerGraham Cracker Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited November 8, 2009 in Sports
I am using a flash now for football first time. I have a new 580EX ii, bracket that puts flash up 18" , a monopod and a power pack. I used the flash at minus 2 clicks and my ISO on 6400 on my 1DM3 and my f2.8 70-200 L series lens. I noticed it that I was able to catch the action well but I had 2 repeated issues
1) had difficulty getting my camera at 2 stops below without dropping the ISO. Problem there was when I didn't use the flash it was too dark so I have some shots that were almost blown out
2) when the flash caught the action it did a great job "freezing" the action but often noticed the lower legs were slightly blurred and whole image not as crisp? Don't know if this is called "ghosting" or not but curious how to avoid. here are two pictures showing what I was referring too. http://patrickgraham.smugmug.com/Oth...01335515_MKCwy Did I not have my aperture down enough? I think it was f4.5 or even 5.0?
I haven't edited these at all thanks again for the tips.
I have also heard that some people mount the flash down the monopod would this help? Patrick
PDG
Canon 1DM3, 20D & 40D, Canon f/2.8 70-200mm IS, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

Comments

• Options
    DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    If you are going to shoot at 6400 ISO why are you bothering with flash. Myself with a bunch of different PMs and others have told you what settings to use but you didn't bother to listen. Instead of just asking what settings to use you may need to start at the beginning and learn how the different settings affect each other and why. I don't mean to sound harsh but I've seen this a lot lately on other forums as well. Here is one of my PM posts that spelled it out.

I do use flash all the time now but on one field I could shoot 3200/500s/2.8 but just prefer the flash now. Setting are pretty much 800/300s(MIII)/F2.8 to F4. That will get you pretty close just watch the LCD and adjust as needed. I've been shooting ETTL +0 this year and been having pretty consistent results, but in manual it is between 1/4 and 1/2 power.

It does take some getting used to and shooting at 1 frame per second you really have to time things. Let me know if you have any other questions Patrick.
    I have also read a few others give pretty much the same advice but you chose something completely different.I would suggest going back and just following the advice that was already given to you.
  • Options
    cecilccecilc Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    1) had difficulty getting my camera at 2 stops below without dropping the ISO. Problem there was when I didn't use the flash it was too dark so I have some shots that were almost blown out
    2) when the flash caught the action it did a great job "freezing" the action but often noticed the lower legs were slightly blurred and whole image not as crisp? Don't know if this is called "ghosting" or not but curious how to avoid. here are two pictures showing what I was referring too. http://patrickgraham.smugmug.com/Oth...01335515_MKCwy Did I not have my aperture down enough? I think it was f4.5 or even 5.0?

I read the other thread you had about, basically, this same thing ... and I read the advice given to you in that thread. But it seems, from your post above, that you 1) didn't understand the advice you were given; or 2) chose to ignore the advice you were given ....

Check this thread out: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=109535 .

It's got some good advice on flash football under the lights ....
    Cecil
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Photos at SportsShooter
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    Dano wrote:
    If you are going to shoot at 6400 ISO why are you bothering with flash. Myself with a bunch of different PMs and others have told you what settings to use but you didn't bother to listen. Instead of just asking what settings to use you may need to start at the beginning and learn how the different settings affect each other and why. I don't mean to sound harsh but I've seen this a lot lately on other forums as well. Here is one of my PM posts that spelled it out.

I have also read a few others give pretty much the same advice but you chose something completely different.I would suggest going back and just following the advice that was already given to you.
    My deepest apologies for wasting anyones time. I did read everything and tried to comply with it. I tried the 6400 because I was told that if I used my flash extensively I would burn it out. SO I was using the flash in the end zones and turning it off in the middle of the field. Having the flash on the top of the brackets makes it difficult to quickly change the ISO. Thus the question about mounting the flash below. I have ben told people do it both ways. I certainly understand that the high ISO was not appropriate, what I was trying to ask was if that was the only reason my pictures turned out how they did or was I doing something else wrong? I am certainly not trying to waste anyones time, just trying to learn.
    PDG
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    cecilc wrote:
    I read the other thread you had about, basically, this same thing ... and I read the advice given to you in that thread. But it seems, from your post above, that you 1) didn't understand the advice you were given; or 2) chose to ignore the advice you were given ....

Check this thread out: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=109535 .

It's got some good advice on flash football under the lights ....
    Thanks. I thought I understood, but apparently I didn't. I am really, really green with the flash and trying to learn. thanks for the link.
    PDG
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    Thanks. I thought I understood, but apparently I didn't. I am really, really green with the flash and trying to learn. thanks for the link.
    Cecil, the link you pointed me too was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. IF the moderator wants to pull this thread so I don't waste anyones time please feel free. Respectfully, Patrick
    PDG
  • Options
    DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Again Patrick I didn't mean to sound like an a$$. Just a little frustrating when you come back not using anyone's suggestions and wondering why you are not getting good results.

There is no way you are going to burn out your flash. With recycle times and the 30-40 seconds in between plays I would not worry about it.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    Dano wrote:
    Again Patrick I didn't mean to sound like an a$$. Just a little frustrating when you come back not using anyones sugestions and wondering why you are not getting good results.

There is no way you are going to burn out your flash. With recycle times and the 30-40 seconds in between plays I would not worry about it.

OK, I think I am just so green, I couldn't remember everything. This was my first time using a real setup. I appreciate the help, thanks
    PDG
  • Options
    Daren3006Daren3006 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Hey Patrick,

This is a little off topic but I was looking through your other galleries, the wrestling in particular. I notice that almost all of them have some motion blur. I looked at your camera info and see that you're shooting 1/60. That is way too slow for wrestling. I usually shoot wrestling at 1/250th without flash. If that's at all possible for your equip and lighting situation, I'd give it a try.

Personally I would sacrifice a little light to get the crisp motion freeze. If you're shooting in RAW you may be able to regain some of your lost light in post processing.
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    to add to what Daren stated........even the people that aren't moving look soft. How are you stabilizing the camera when shooting the wrestling?