Need help choosing... Nikon portrait lenses

Wet Nose PhotographerWet Nose Photographer Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited November 6, 2009 in Cameras
Hey folks -

I need some help making my mind up on which lens or lenses to buy for portraits.

Nikon by the way.

I do both people and pet portraits. Because pets are sometimes easier to photograph from across the room I am thinking about the Nikon 70-300 VR which seems like a helluva lens for under $600. Is there something else that would be better for pet photography?

For people portraits I was thinking about either the Nikon 85/2.8 or the 135/2.8 DC. Has anyone out there had any experience with the DC lenses?

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

- Rich

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    are you still using the D200 or are you moving to FX??

Personally I would opt for a short to med range zoom....there is good results to be had with the Nikon 18-70......
    I am a sigma person for the most part but the cams I bought cam with lenses and I am learning to to get very good images from the 18-200 and 18-70.....
    haven't decided which I am going to let go of....so I can get some longer glass ..................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    the portrait lens for nikon are as such from best on down imo:

85mm 1.4 for legendary bokeh ..ie the cream machine
    50mm 1.4G (9 blade aperature for better bokeh then D plus a little better corner sharpness then D)
    50mm 1.4D
    then the 1.8 version of these lens
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    I prefer longer lenses for classic portraiture...just finished using the 70-200 2.8 VR for engagement portraits and it was exceptional.

JMP_3963-Edit.jpg
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    I prefer longer lenses for classic portraiture...just finished using the 70-200 2.8 VR for engagement portraits and it was exceptional.

JMP_3963-Edit.jpg

Great pic and suggestion. Lot of people like the 70-200 for portraits.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Great pic and suggestion. Lot of people like the 70-200 for portraits.

Thanks. On a semi-side note, I rented a 300mm f/4 from Borrowlenses.com recently(great people/service). It was amazing for headshots. For group portraits(3+) I like my 50mm 1.4G, but for anything else, space permitting, the longer the better. A 400mm 2.8 is my dream headshot lens. :DLaughing.gif
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    I use a Tamron 28-75 on my DX body for portraits and love the results:

F2.8 has been narrow enough depth of field for me when I want to separate the subject and background, plus the lens is amazingly sharp:

692865547_RR4XJ-O.jpg
  • GarrettGarrett Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    If you are sticking with DX for a while, you might want to look at the Sigma 50-150mm 2.8. I rented it for a trip (two weeks) and really enjoyed it. Let me know if you want some examples. Also, I currently have the Nikon 70-300 VR and find it pretty slow for shooting indoors unless you're using a flash or the room is well light. Outdoors it performs quite well.