Canon 1D MKII "Error 01" HALP!

JonasWrightJonasWright Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited November 4, 2009 in Cameras
Shot with the camera yesterday, and it hasn't taken any bumps or falls since then. I arrive at today's assignment and get an "Error 01" code.

I fiddle with the lens, try a different lens and clean the contacts for both lens and camera. Nothing.

But something new!
I've found this error on the internet. But it seems like I have some problems all my own.

First: There is no aperture number given in the display. Even with a lens attached it simply reads "00" (which is also what it reads with no lens attached.)

Second: When I try to shoot with a lens on, the lens locks up. The only way to get it to unlock is turn the camera off and then back on. But the shutter curtains don't open.

It seems to me that there is NO communication going between lens and body.

Any help is appreciated.
jonaswright.smugmug.com

“This wasn't just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins in it.” ~ Dorothy Parker

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 3, 2009
    Yes, it sounds like a lens/camera communication problem. The best way to diagnose is with another camera and lens. Swap lenses on the cameras to see if the problem follows the lens or follows the camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JonasWrightJonasWright Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Yes, it sounds like a lens/camera communication problem. The best way to diagnose is with another camera and lens. Swap lenses on the cameras to see if the problem follows the lens or follows the camera.

Whoops! I meant to add that to the OP.
    Thankfully I lived pretty close to the assignment, so I was able to dash home and grab my old 20D workhorse.

Both lenses that I had trouble with worked like a charm and ole faithful rode to the rescue.
    jonaswright.smugmug.com

“This wasn't just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins in it.” ~ Dorothy Parker
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 3, 2009
    Whoops! I meant to add that to the OP.
    Thankfully I lived pretty close to the assignment, so I was able to dash home and grab my old 20D workhorse.

Both lenses that I had trouble with worked like a charm and ole faithful rode to the rescue.

That does seem to isolate the problem to the camera body. It's time to send the body in if the shutter is jamming open and throwing that error.

Do you have any idea of the number of actuations on the camera body?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JonasWrightJonasWright Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    That does seem to isolate the problem to the camera body. It's time to send the body in if the shutter is jamming open and throwing that error.

Do you have any idea of the number of actuations on the camera body?

Probably about 1200 since I got it two months ago. I picked it up used from Adorama in E+ condition - which supposedly means only light use.

Frack. Off to Canon it goes. :bluduh

Good thing I kept my 20D.
    jonaswright.smugmug.com

• esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    It's funny you mention that.

I just ordered a new 7D, but the deal with my wife was that I had to sell something of about $250-$300 value before I could get it (hence a lens for sale on the board here). I was originally going to sell my 20D, but thought about that problem possibly happening and thinking how nice it would be to have a back-up body.