Options

Page won't reload

timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
edited November 16, 2009 in Bug Reporting
I'm working with this gallery:
http://valkyrie.smugmug.com/Travel/2009-Road-Trip/2009-06-162-Notre-Dam-Basilica/8667139_cSmfB#572406195_vBgDB-A-LB

I want to do a refresh so updates I've made to various images'll show on the screen. When I hit refresh, the borders refresh, but the pictures all disappear. The bottom status bar says "Read cdn.smugmug.com".

back / forward arrows don't do anything.

If I cut 'n' paste the link into a new page, it loads as expected.

I'm running FF 3.0.15 on XP
  • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    it's working fine for us. Why not try updating your FF to the newest version, and try again?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    it's working fine for us. Why not try updating your FF to the newest version, and try again?
    Because
    • I can't control what browsers others who look at this gallery are running
    • I have that version on a laptop where it's a memory hog that crashes way too often
    BTW - did you try running through a proxy to a CDN internet service, or just run it in-house?
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    What addons are you running?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    AVG Safe search
    AVG Security Toolbar
    Colorful Tabs
    Gmail Notifier
    IDM CC (Internet download manager integration module
    Java Quick Starter - which is currently disabled
    Sage 1.4.3 (a lightweight RSS and Atom feed reader)
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    It appears to be working as expected now.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    I take that back...it just happened again.

What seems to be happening is -
    1. Work on an image in LR on my laptop.
    2. Upload the image to SM from the laptop using the LR plugin
    3. When the upload is completed - I'll reload the web page on the desktop system
    4. Desktop page reload hangs waiting for cdn.smugmug.com
    HTH.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    I take that back...it just happened again.

What seems to be happening is -
    1. Work on an image in LR on my laptop.
    2. Upload the image to SM from the laptop using the LR plugin
    3. When the upload is completed - I'll reload the web page on the desktop system
    4. Desktop page reload hangs waiting for cdn.smugmug.com
    HTH.
    And it's on this page:
    http://valkyrie.smugmug.com/Travel/2009-Road-Trip/2009-06-162-Notre-Dam-Basilica/8667139_cSmfB#572406195_vBgDB

?

Be sure *.smugmug.com is whitelisted in your security software, please.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    That's the one I'm working with right now. I've had this happen before while working on other portions of my site, but didn't bother to report it then.
    Andy wrote:
    Be sure *.smugmug.com is whitelisted in your security software, please.
    I'm not sure where I'd do that in AVG - all other work I do with smugmug.com (save the social network issue I reported elsewhere) are working fine.

Could the fact that I'm behind a load-balanced router with two internet connections be an issue?
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 5, 2009
    Tim, the connection should not be an issue that I am aware of. But, anything is possible. I had a major fight with my Vonage connection last night and finally figured it out in a way that I would never have tried other than out of frustration. I tried to see if I could find instructions for whitelisting a site in AVG but did not see anything. What are you using for your Firewall? That might be a better place to look.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    I'm running AVG for the firewall as well. Every once in a while it asks about Firefox trying to access the internet, and I tell it "allow for all".

That's about as close to a "whitelist" as I've seen for AVG so far.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    BTW - did you try running through a proxy to a CDN internet service, or just run it in-house?

I did want to go back and address this. All of our heroes work from home around the world using standard internet connections. I personally use a Comcast cable connection from here in Virginia. We access the site exactly like you do. Yes, we have an administrative login. But I typically will log out and view your site as a visitor when testing.

I know that some companies support folks test from inside the building with a direct connection to the servers. So they do miss problems. But because of our support structure, we do not or even cannot do that.

I just wanted you to know how we do things because we are different.

Can you also try clearing the cache and see if it pulls the photos again?
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    I did want to go back and address this. All of our heroes work from home around the world using standard internet connections. I personally use a Comcast cable connection from here in Virginia. We access the site exactly like you do. Yes, we have an administrative login. But I typically will log out and view your site as a visitor when testing.

I know that some companies support folks test from inside the building with a direct connection to the servers. So they do miss problems. But because of our support structure, we do not or even cannot do that.

I just wanted you to know how we do things because we are different.
    Ok - I've run into the situation you've described here before, so it's good to know that you're closer to the kind of situation I'm working with.

However - I'll bet your pulling your data from somewhere other than cdn.smugmug.com, no?
    docwalker wrote:

I'm working on some other stuff right now, but I'll update this thread when I have time to try this. (and that may be a day or two...)

I would note that I've seen cases where the brower pulls everything in, but I'm still seeing "reading from api.smugmug.com" at the bottom. It doesn't seem to be a problem, but still it makes me wonder...
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    However - I'll bet your pulling your data from somewhere other than cdn.smugmug.com, no?

I was going to try and show you a screen shot of your page loading and that it is in fact pulling from cdn.smugmug.com but it zips past way to quick :-) Like I said, we use the exact same method for accessing the site. That means cdn, api, etc. thumb.gif

Let me know when you get done with the other stuff.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    I was going to try and show you a screen shot of your page loading and that it is in fact pulling from cdn.smugmug.com but it zips past way to quick :-) Like I said, we use the exact same method for accessing the site. That means cdn, api, etc. thumb.gif
    Ok then, all is good on that front. thumb.gif
    docwalker wrote:
    Let me know when you get done with the other stuff.
    Will do.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    I've cleared the cache, rebooted the system, and so far I can't say I've been able to repeat the issue.

I did have one instance where I copied a link, opened a new window, pasted the link and hit return, and got the text but nothing else. But so far it's been rather well behaved. headscratch.gif

I'll be trying again later this week and will update with what I find.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    I've since had a case where I opened a link i a new window, and the resulting page was blank until I did browser 'refresh'. headscratch.gif

I've had this happen before, but I haven't figured out how to make a repeatable example of it... :patch