Canon Macro Lens

crysjancrysjan Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited November 9, 2009 in Holy Macro
Hello Macro gurus,

I have a Canon 100mm macro lens and I would like to upgrade to get a much better Macro shots. I would like to upgrade to MPE65 or 100mm L lens, but I want to get info from regular macro shooters for ideas.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

Comments

• TosserTosser Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    The 100 macro is a very good lens, and is regarded as one of Canon's sharpest lenses. The "L" version is very similar in IQ, but adds a faster AF speed, three distance limiters, and IS. Both are excellent macro lenses that can also be used for portraits and other general uses.

The MPE65 provides you with more magnification (up to 5:1), but is manual focus only. It is a dedicated macro lens that cannot be used for anything else. From what I understand, it is a very difficult lens to learn and master.

There is really no "upgrade" from the 100 macro that will give you "much better shots." Its IQ and flexibility are superb.

If you are not very experienced in macro photography, I would stick with what you have now. If you are willing to put a lot of study and effort into macro photography, then get the MPE65. If you just want to spend money, get the 100L.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Yep, the Canon 100 macro is a wonderful lens. What are you not liking about your macro shots?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • crysjancrysjan Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Canon 10mm
    Thank you very much, much appreciated. It's just that I see a lot of really good Macro shots here and it's really inspiring to shoot macro again.

Here's my macro shots http://www.crysjanphotography.com/Photography/Flowers-and-Plants/Flowers/6223590_aBF8r

I haven't use this lens for portrait yet. Thanks for the info.
    Tosser wrote:
    The 100 macro is a very good lens, and is regarded as one of Canon's sharpest lenses. The "L" version is very similar in IQ, but adds a faster AF speed, three distance limiters, and IS. Both are excellent macro lenses that can also be used for portraits and other general uses.

The MPE65 provides you with more magnification (up to 5:1), but is manual focus only. It is a dedicated macro lens that cannot be used for anything else. From what I understand, it is a very difficult lens to learn and master.

There is really no "upgrade" from the 100 macro that will give you "much better shots." Its IQ and flexibility are superb.

If you are not very experienced in macro photography, I would stick with what you have now. If you are willing to put a lot of study and effort into macro photography, then get the MPE65. If you just want to spend money, get the 100L.
    edited November 4, 2009
    I see a lot of closeup work in your gallery, but not much true macro. I don't believe the MPE65 would suit what you do since it won't focus more than a few centimeters beyond the front element. I'd stick with the 100.

Here's a decent little writeup: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/mp-e-65.shtml
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    You have some lovely shots in your gallery. Not quite sure what you mean by "getting better", but if you mean you would like to be able to take higher magnification shots then first of all I would just get a set of Kenko ext tubes and use them with your current lens. This will double your maximum magnification to 2:1.

Brian V.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    I don't have anything to add about lenses, but I would like to disagree with the the comment that your images are not "true macro" and to say that I hope this comment does not deter you from posting images here for comment. I think the argument about how close a close-up has to be to count as macro is not useful, but in any case, a common traditional definition is 1:1, which some of your images seem to be (unless you cropped a lot). My first macro shots were with the Canon compact 50mm macro, which does not even go to 1:1.

I think some of your images are well done.
    edited November 5, 2009
    Wasn't criticizing any images or style. Was merely suggesting that Louisa's style of shooting would not necessary benefit from the MPE65. In fact, due to its limitations it would likely be a hinderance due to its very limited focal distance range. But, for closeups of flowers such as most of those in the gallery linked, the 100mm is a far better choice.
  • tzippletzipple Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    The Canon 100 is as good as it gets. The MPE65 is far harder to use and overkill for these kinds of shots.

Point of focus looks off on several. Also, your depth of field looks a bit shallow in some. What is the aperture that you are using? Looks a bit big in some. Try f/22 for when you need more depth.

Consider a good book on macro work. Lots on Amazon.

And keep shooting. I like your eye.

crysjan wrote:
    Hello Macro gurus,

I have a Canon 100mm macro lens and I would like to upgrade to get a much better Macro shots. I would like to upgrade to MPE65 or 100mm L lens, but I want to get info from regular macro shooters for ideas.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thank you!
    edited November 6, 2009
    Thank you all for the advice and the nice comments :) Got me excited there for a while. Ok, I guess I will need to get a Kenko Extension Tubes and try it again and stick with my Canon 100mm. I normally just browse and read here because I am so afraid of bullies but you guys are all very friendly. Thanks!
    edited November 6, 2009
    Thank you so much.
    paddler4 wrote:
    I don't have anything to add about lenses, but I would like to disagree with the the comment that your images are not "true macro" and to say that I hope this comment does not deter you from posting images here for comment. I think the argument about how close a close-up has to be to count as macro is not useful, but in any case, a common traditional definition is 1:1, which some of your images seem to be (unless you cropped a lot). My first macro shots were with the Canon compact 50mm macro, which does not even go to 1:1.

I think some of your images are well done.
  • NaturePicsNaturePics Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    nothing wrong with what you do now
    crysjan wrote:
    Thank you so much.

I looked at the 8 pages of images your link pointed to. Lots of lovely pictures there. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at those images so I showed them to my wife who also enjoyed them. You have a good eye for color, shape and texture. I got a sense that your pictures reflected your taste.

Maybe your macro lens will give you some new possibilities. Try making a number of shots of the same subject varying the distance, angle and other variables and see what works for you.

Bill
    edited November 9, 2009
    Great! Thanks! I appreciate that, I will get a kenko extension tubes again.
    NaturePics wrote:
    I looked at the 8 pages of images your link pointed to. Lots of lovely pictures there. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at those images so I showed them to my wife who also enjoyed them. You have a good eye for color, shape and texture. I got a sense that your pictures reflected your taste.

Maybe your macro lens will give you some new possibilities. Try making a number of shots of the same subject varying the distance, angle and other variables and see what works for you.

Bill