Food!

thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
edited November 6, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I've never shot food before yesterday but I must say that it was a lot of fun. I'm guessing, since it was my first time, I missed a ton of details I should have otherwise caught but hey, I'm pretty stoked with some of the results. Enjoy!

1)
703263668_BRp8V-L.jpg

2)
703264868_j59rF-L.jpg

3)
703262771_7AeAm-L.jpg

4)
703261803_WZ37i-L.jpg

5)
703259895_HN3mN-L.jpg

6)
703260941_AckXU-L.jpg

7)
703258682_fw23k-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

More shots here!
Travis

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    As much as my arteries harden just looking at them, 3 & 7 work well for me. In the others, the DOF seems to be working against my enjoyment of the delectibles.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Thanks for the comments, Andrew. From my experience yesterday there seems a fine line between too much and too little DOF in these type of shots. I'm glad at least some of them worked for you, though! thumb.gif
    Travis
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    I think the difference for some of them is that important parts of the plate are not OOF in these two. The garnish isn't important in the burger, and the fries are clearly recognizable and are not all that important in the mac and cheese.

In the ribs, I kinda wonder what the white stuff is in the bg. For the stuff in 4, I want to know what's in the bowl a little more clearly. 5 was good, but went OOF too fast for me, and in 6 the front end of the braided bread was too prominent and OOF.

Season the above with appropriate amounts of salt. I've never done any of this, just going based on a little bit of introspection and the effect on my saliva glands.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited November 4, 2009
    I appreciate the additional insight, Andrew. I see what you mean on some of the OOF areas like the pretzel end. I'll make sure to take an additional look through my shots of the day to see if I have versions that might not dissolve so quickly.

Food is a whole new area for me and I must say that the amount of work that goes into its presentation is a bit overwhelming. I had a chef working as a stylist and I relied on his eye for the vast majority of what went onto each plate. I did take away quite a few tricks for next time but I suspect we missed as many bits as we caught. It was great fun, though. I highly recommend it!
    Travis
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    :eat :eat :eat

Well, I'm hungry.

The ribs look great, but could use a different background.
    The burger is delicious full stop!
    The pizza suffers from the shallow dof.

6 and 7 would benefit from extending the field of focus to the front of the plate.

What's in the bowl in the 7th?
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited November 4, 2009
    Thanks for the thoughts, Pyry. It looks like you and Andrew agree with one another so I'll definitely be looking for some additional views on some of these.
    pyry wrote:
    What's in the bowl in the 7th?
    eek7.gif

You must not be American because it's un-American to not be able to recognize Macaroni n' Cheese! :D Where are you from?
    Travis
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    they look great as food and as photos..I would add a touch more DOF in some of the shots.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited November 4, 2009
    Thanks Qarik!
    Travis
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    thoth wrote:

You must not be American because it's un-American to not be able to recognize Macaroni n' Cheese! :D Where are you from?

Guilty as charged, though mac'n cheese would have been my guess (with fries though?) :D

I'm Finnish.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited November 4, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Guilty as charged, though mac'n cheese would have been my guess (with fries though?) :D

I'm Finnish.
    Yeah, I agree that the fries are a bit odd. But hey, fries go with anything right? :D
    Travis
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Pretty impressive results for not having done much of this kind of shooting. I'm in agreement with the others concerning the DOF. The bulk of food shots I see in publication will have inclusive DOF. This is an issue easily resolved. Again, your initial efforts are commendable.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited November 4, 2009
    Thanks for the kind words, Tom. Even with some messy dof I'm feeling pretty good about my first experience. I'm actually looking forward to doing it again so that is always good! clap.gif
    Travis
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Those made me soooo hungry rolleyes1.gif May I ask what restaurant serves this food?
    edited November 5, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Those made me soooo hungry rolleyes1.gif May I ask what restaurant serves this food?
    Then I've done my job! :D The food is from Stockton's Pub & Grill at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. My company is working on a new website for them but you can check them out at their old site.
    Travis
    edited November 6, 2009
    If anyone is interested I've posted the other 50ish food shots from this shoot to my SM page (link in original post and here). Now to get started on the product shots and candids. Can you tell it was a busy day? ne_nau.gif:D
    Travis
    edited November 6, 2009
    Took a look at your other food photos thumb.gif Good job.
    Dang...I was at Lake of the Ozarks a few years back and missed this place. Their food looks so yummy :D Next time I won't miss it!!!!
    edited November 6, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Took a look at your other food photos thumb.gif Good job.
    Dang...I was at Lake of the Ozarks a few years back and missed this place. Their food looks so yummy :D Next time I won't miss it!!!!
    Thanks very much. If I remember correctly the place has only been open a couple years so it was likely not there when you were. They do have some pretty good food, though, so it's worth a visit. thumb.gif
    Travis
    edited November 6, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Thanks very much. If I remember correctly the place has only been open a couple years so it was likely not there when you were. They do have some pretty good food, though, so it's worth a visit. thumb.gif

Now I don't feel so bad that I missed it. Next time I'll try it out tho...that's a given :D