Recent shoot with Brad Crum and his band

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited November 5, 2009 in People
Recently I was invited to shoot some photos of Brad (a local Elvis impersonator) and his band. The downside of this shoot was that it had to be done between 1 & 1:30 in the afternoon, before one of their rehersals. The sky was clear and sun was very bright, as you will see in this photo. What I would like to know is what is the best way to tone down the hot spots, without making the shadowed areas too dark, and possibly making the people in the shade a bit lighter? This spot and pose was requested by Brad's wife & manager. I'm not too fond of the background, but she wanted a photo with a fall look to it, and this is the one she selected to post on his website.

694311071_5V75s-L.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help/tips and C&C that you guys can provide.

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    A couple things you could do now that the shot is taken. Create two copies in LR...or PS...using luminocity curves, brighten one and put the darker over the other, create a mask and paint in. The other is to do it one one layer. In anycase, the squinting lady on the far left kneeling, not much to be done with her as the sun was entirely too bright.

I drag around an AB800 with beauty dish and vagabond for outdoor work...changes everything..even in sunlight. :)
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    A couple things you could do now that the shot is taken. Create two copies in LR...or PS...using luminocity curves, brighten one and put the darker over the other, create a mask and paint in. The other is to do it one one layer. In anycase, the squinting lady on the far left kneeling, not much to be done with her as the sun was entirely too bright.

I drag around an AB800 with beauty dish and vagabond for outdoor work...changes everything..even in sunlight. :)

Thanks Swartzy for the tips and suggestions! They are much appreciated! I played with the photo further in LightRoom, and NIK Vivesa. Does this look any better? I'm trying to get the skin tones more natural looking, but having a tough time of it. I had scouted out the area before this shoot, and had a spot picked out that was better suited, but they wanted to use the fence for the group shot. That area might have worked if it was shot earlier in the morning or later in the evening.

704282274_BC7Nh-L.jpg

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams