Function of the flower

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited November 5, 2009 in Cameras
Using my Nikon D40, I can set the mode dial to the "flower" for close-ups.

I've tried shooting various objects with the camera set to aperture, and then changed the setting to the flower. I see little or no difference between the results.

What changes are made in the camera when the mode is set to the close-up flower?
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 4, 2009
    According to this page:

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/nikon-d40/d40-gen.php

"Close Up mode is intended to capture subjects such as insects, flowers, etc. The camera focuses on the subject in the centre focus area, but other focus points can be selected using the Multi selector."
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    According to this page:

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/nikon-d40/d40-gen.php

"Close Up mode is intended to capture subjects such as insects, flowers, etc. The camera focuses on the subject in the centre focus area, but other focus points can be selected using the Multi selector."
    \

Yes, I know that. However, what I don't know is how it differs from the other modes. Unless, that is, that the focus is more centered within the brackets when in close-up mode.
  • SoCalAlSoCalAl Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    I believe it's like a macro mode. Close up shots of bugs, flowers & whatever.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 4, 2009
    The camera will focus at a much closer distance to the subject in macro mode.
  • photokandyphotokandy Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    I'm not sure you would see a lot of difference if you normally focus using your center point in the P/S/A/M modes. I'd imagine that it is there more for those coming from point-and-shoots who are used to having various shooting modes (like portrait, landscape, night, etc.), where a macro mode is usually fairly prominent and affects how the camera controls the lens for focusing.

Regardless of your setting, you can't get any more "macro" than your lens will allow; if your minimum focus distance is 6 inches with a 1:3 ratio, it doesn't matter if you're on Av or "Macro"; if the camera can lock focus on that coin, there's no difference. However, if you were to shoot the same shot under "Landscape" vs. "Macro", you might see a little more difference, since the camera may not only select any one of the three focus points, but it is free to assume focus is somewhere out there in the distance (if not at infinity). That kind of behavior differs with camera models and brands, so I can't verify the camera actually uses any logic with regard to focusing aside from picking various focus points. (I have a Canon, so can't verify with your camera.) Your manual should indicate how your creative modes affect focusing.

If you're like me, though, and shoot only on A/S/M with center focus point selected, then yeah - you shouldn't see one lick of difference in the results.
    ~ Kerri, photoKandy Studios ( Facebook | Twitter )

Need customization services? View our packages or see our templates.

Note: I won't be offended if you edit my photo and repost it on dgrin -- I'm always open to new interpretations
    and ideas, and any helpful hints, tips, and/or critiques are welcome. Just don't post the edit anywhere else
    but dgrin, please.

My Gear List
    edited November 4, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    \

Yes, I know that. However, what I don't know is how it differs from the other modes. Unless, that is, that the focus is more centered within the brackets when in close-up mode.

I think the mode only offers the convenience of selecting the center focus dot while in the mode, and then when you leave the mode it reverts to the settings of the other modes. It does not sound like it does more than that.

In other words, it doesn't do very much at all.

What it says in your Nikon D40 User Manual, page 18 (or page 31 of the Nikon PDF at: http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D40_noprint.pdf)

"Use for close-up shots of flowers, insects, and other small objects. The camera automatically focuses on the subject in the center focus area; other focus areas can be selected using the multi selector. Use of a tripod is recommended to prevent blur."

If you discover that it does more than this, please share what that is.
    ziggy53
    edited November 4, 2009
    SoCalAl wrote:
    I believe it's like a macro mode. Close up shots of bugs, flowers & whatever.
    kdog wrote:
    The camera will focus at a much closer distance to the subject in macro mode.

The Nikon D40 is a dSLR and the close focus distance is related to, and dependent upon, which lens is mounted.
    ziggy53
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    photokandy wrote:
    I'm not sure you would see a lot of difference if you normally focus using your center point in the P/S/A/M modes. I'd imagine that it is there more for those coming from point-and-shoots who are used to having various shooting modes (like portrait, landscape, night, etc.), where a macro mode is usually fairly prominent and affects how the camera controls the lens for focusing.

Regardless of your setting, you can't get any more "macro" than your lens will allow; if your minimum focus distance is 6 inches with a 1:3 ratio, it doesn't matter if you're on Av or "Macro"; if the camera can lock focus on that coin, there's no difference. However, if you were to shoot the same shot under "Landscape" vs. "Macro", you might see a little more difference, since the camera may not only select any one of the three focus points, but it is free to assume focus is somewhere out there in the distance (if not at infinity). That kind of behavior differs with camera models and brands, so I can't verify the camera actually uses any logic with regard to focusing aside from picking various focus points. (I have a Canon, so can't verify with your camera.) Your manual should indicate how your creative modes affect focusing.

If you're like me, though, and shoot only on A/S/M with center focus point selected, then yeah - you shouldn't see one lick of difference in the results.

Based on some very low tech experiments, I think that the above describes the function: nothing much, if anything at all.

My camera is normally set to "single area focus" and the center set of brackets, so I'm probably already doing what the setting does.

The manual (I do read them!) does not provide any useful information.

Just thought I'd check in case I was underestimating the power of the flower.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    All I can think of is it might be automatically selecting a narrower aperture to get you more depth of field. Check the EXIF for the images, and compare to say, fully automatic operation, see if there's a difference in the exposures it's picking.