Options

White on White....

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited November 8, 2009 in Weddings
One last shot from my most recent bridal set. I have shot here often with seniors and couples, but this was the first time I had a chance to get someone here in a wedding dress. I did a whole series....some with flash....some natural light.

This was natural light.

703317443_KmNKQ-L.jpg

...and this with OCF

703314840_sAmPv-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Nice one. thumb.gif

Thanks Darren!:D
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Nice Jeff! Very classy and elegant :)
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Beautiful Jeff. In a general sense I prefer the natural light. I like the deeper shadows across her face, and like the detail in her dress and in the collums. However her nose looks bigger in the natural light shot. I think because of the shadows more so than the angle but it could be the angle or a slight difference in focal length. Does she have a bigish nose? That is to say which is the accurate depiction?

Don't get me wrong, both are nice, but the flashed shot is probably more flattering to her.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    I like the 2nd one better. The pillars have a different lighting and, IMHO, a little less distracting or maybe it's just the depth of field that I like better. Both are beautiful.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    Nice Jeff! Very classy and elegant :)

Thanks Shima. :D

BTW I shot some sweet candid of my daughter on homecoming night with that 50mm. If you dig around here a bit Ill bet you can still find them. It showed off some crazy buttery bokeh.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    Beautiful Jeff. In a general sense I prefer the natural light. I like the deeper shadows across her face, and like the detail in her dress and in the collums. However her nose looks bigger in the natural light shot.
    I think because of the shadows more so than the angle but it could be the angle or a slight difference in focal length. Does she have a bigish nose? That is to say which is the accurate depiction?

Don't get me wrong, both are nice, but the flashed shot is probably more flattering to her.

Matt

I agree on all counts.

I also like the shadows and nuances of the light better in the natural light shot....and since there is no fill the sidelighting on the dress details are more pronounced.

As you have pointed out though....it isnt as flattering to her facial features as the shot with fill. Ideally, a short lighting pattern would have been preferable, but.....when the location....time of day....and natural light direction dictate the key light direction it couldnt be done without setting the flash up to be the key light. For this shot...I think that would have played out oddly since the light coming through the columns in the BG would have come from the opposite direction. In any event, the fill in the second shot...I think....balances things out a bit better.(Note to self eh?mwink.gif )

There was another option.....

This building is an old pre civil war barracks and is built in the shape of a pentagon....albeit with two sides missing.....so, I could have tried my luck on the one other side that wasnt in direct sunlight that afternoon. It may have been better.....but really....any time you are shooting under a overhanging porch the light will be brighter toward the outer edge....so.....maybe only marginally better.

It does underscore the fact that lighting choices can make a dramatic impact on the appearance of our subjects ....and their facial features.mwink.gif

Thanks for commenting.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    In any event, the fill in the second shot...I think....balances things out a bit better.(Note to self eh?mwink.gif )

*snip*

It does underscore the fact that lighting choices can make a dramatic impact on the appearance of our subjects ....and their facial features.mwink.gif

I'll be thinking about this shot this weekend. I have a bride who has a bit of a nose to her and I'm glad this will be fresh in my head. Good lighting lesson here. Great job catching this in the field and correcting for it!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks Shima. :D

BTW I shot some sweet candid of my daughter on homecoming night with that 50mm. If you dig around here a bit Ill bet you can still find them. It showed off some crazy buttery bokeh.thumb.gif

Ooo cool, I'll start digging around! I've been using that 85 a whole bunch, it's just the right focal length on my 5D2's :) I also purchased a hood for it, since I felt bad that it was the only lens in my bag w/out a hood...not anymore!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    These are both beautiful, Jeff. I really like the pillars in the background and the monotone-ness is easy on the eyes. I keep going back and forth between which I like best...I like things from each of them. So, I'll just say I like them both! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    I also purchased a hood for it, since I felt bad that it was the only lens in my bag w/out a hood...not anymore!

Yes Shima, it is very important that you treat all your lenses fairly... you don't want anyone getting upset!! rolleyes1.gif

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    ear.gif about this thread.

When I first looked at it, I could'nt figure out WHY there was something I didn't quite like.... and then Matt posted and it made sense. I think the 2nd shot (OCF) is SO much more flattering to her... also, the angle means that the columns draw less attention to themselves, and the focus is more on her somehow.

Good job, Jeff. I get the feeling that maybe she isn't the easiest to shoot, and yet you're still getting some really lovely shots. Has she seen them yet?

PS The processing is, as always, to die for. HOW do you always get that perfect "caramel" look to everything you do?! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    ear.gif about this thread.

When I first looked at it, I could'nt figure out WHY there was something I didn't quite like.... and then Matt posted and it made sense. I think the 2nd shot (OCF) is SO much more flattering to her... also, the angle means that the columns draw less attention to themselves, and the focus is more on her somehow.

Good job, Jeff. I get the feeling that maybe she isn't the easiest to shoot, and yet you're still getting some really lovely shots. Has she seen them yet?

Well we all have our issues when it comes to being in "front" of a camera.:D

Maybe after the wedding Ill post a SOOC from this shoot......er....or maybe not.....headscratch.gif

She is a photography enthusiast though....and like me...(and many other photographers Im sure)....is much more comfortable BEHIND the camera.

PS The processing is, as always, to die for. HOW do you always get that perfect "caramel" look to everything you do?! bowdown.gif

Well sheesh Diva.....THAT is top secret!!!rolleyes1.gif

Seriously though....I can only atribute that to being very careful...okay....ANAL....about white balance and color management with my photography, and THAT begins before the capture and is carried out at every step to print. I cannot control everything that happens on a shoot, but try to be methodical about staying in control of those things that are within my ability.deal.gif

Im happy to say that many of the things I used to struggle to remember are second nature now...and require very little thought on my part. A leap, of sorts, for me that has transpired over the last couple years.
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    I like the pic overall and can't add any technical commentary that hasn't been said already, however compositionally speaking the flow of the bride's hair down her chest and into her top is overly distracting and draws too much attention compared to those dazzling blue eyes and other features in the image.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    I like the pic overall and can't add any technical commentary that hasn't been said already, however compositionally speaking the flow of the bride's hair down her chest and into her top is overly distracting and draws too much attention compared to those dazzling blue eyes and other features in the image.

Probably doesnt distract as much as a bald bride would.....rolleyes1.gif

Seriously though....not every bride wears an up-doo.thumb.gif

BTW....I tried to find a link to your galleries to peruse your portrait portfolio. It's nice to know the technical level of those who offer critique. Link us in!!!ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Seriously though....not every bride wears an up-doo.thumb.gif
    My observation isn't about whether the hair was "up" or "down", but that the hair on her right disappears into her bodice instead of along her body, as compared to how the hair on her left hangs.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc