Options

Not getting subscription emails

thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
edited November 8, 2009 in Dgrin Forum Support
Greetings powers-that-be,

I know there have been a couple threads (here and here) over the last month about this or similar problems but I am hoping I can find out if there is a resolution for it.

Sometime a month or so ago I started receiving subscribed thread notifications only randomly. It does not seem to be related to any individual threads as I'll get some from a thread and not others. My control panel appears to be configured correctly (and I had no problems previously) and my spam filters (outlook and gmail itself) have not caught anything they shouldn't have.

Any ideas? Anything I didn't check that I should have?

Thanks!
Travis

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    who is your mail provider, is it only Gmail?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Yes, just Gmail.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Incidentally, I got the notification of your response.
    Travis
  • Options
    CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    My control panel appears to be configured correctly (and I had no problems previously) and my spam filters (outlook and gmail itself) have not caught anything they shouldn't have.

Same here. Don't get notifications of forum posts despite having control panel set up for it. There are no emails for this on gmail, to which my bellsouth mail is forwarded or on the bellsouth server, where there is always a copy. And there is nothing in spam.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    CynthiaM wrote:
    Same here. Don't get notifications of forum posts despite having control panel set up for it. There are no emails for this on gmail, to which my bellsouth mail is forwarded or on the bellsouth server, where there is always a copy. And there is nothing in spam.
    we've had other reports that bellsouth is marking said mails as spam, have you contacted them?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    we've had other reports that bellsouth is marking said mails as spam, have you contacted them?
    Andy:
    My understanding of email is that it either ends up in the inbox or the spam box. This isn't ending up in ANY box. All of my mail is on the bellsouth server. I don't think bellsouth takes the liberty of deciding that mail is spam and delete it before the user ever sees it. They put it into spam for the user to decide if it is spam or not. It's not in spam.

I think this is a bug in dgrin. These emails are not getting to my email server. And now with this other post, I am apparently not the only one with this problem. Would you want me to change the email address in my forum profile to the gmail address and see if the problem continues?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    CynthiaM wrote:
    Would you want me to change the email address in my forum profile to the gmail address and see if the problem continues?
    Yes, please :D
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, please :D

Done. Please respond to this and lets see what happens.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Response test numero uno. Good luck! :D
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Thread subscription notifications are being sent, I'm getting them instantly.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    As am I, from this thread. From this thread, however, the only notification I received was from black mamba's reply.

There is very little in the pipe between DGrin and me (DGrin --> Gmail --> my eyes). If I, like Cynthia, have not received any emails then I would suspect it was possibly something on the receiving end. However, since my problem is intermittent and no emails are being blocked in an obvious way, I suspect it is on DGrin's side.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Now I'm getting them, pretty much instantaneously, to the gmail account. At some point in the next few days I am curious to see what happens if I change it back to the bellsouth email address.

For what it's worth, here are two other troubleshooting points:
    • the bellsouth server is really att.yahoo.net
    • I believe this problem started immediately after I went into the forum settings and set myself up for the instant email notification. I used to get the emails when I directed individual posts to do so, but it stopped around the time that I changed the preferences to do so automatically. Almost as if the direction never took affect on the dgrin end.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited November 5, 2009
    I have had intermittent failures of notification for about a month. No rhyme nor reason to it as far as I can tell...sometimes I get them from any given thread, sometimes not. They're not being blocked by gmail. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    I have had intermittent failures of notification for about a month. No rhyme nor reason to it as far as I can tell...sometimes I get them from any given thread, sometimes not. They're not being blocked by gmail. ne_nau.gif
    "Excellent," he says while rubbing his hands together. "With their own on our side the powers-that-be will have no choice but to meet our ridiculous demands for consistent notification. And then... THE WORLD!"

:D
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    "Excellent," he says while rubbing his hands together. "With their own on our side the powers-that-be will have no choice but to meet our ridiculous demands for consistent notification. And then... THE WORLD!"

Hah! Don't hold your breath. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Seriously, intermittent problems are hard to track down. "Something is happening but we don't know what it is..."
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    thoth wrote:

I get always all subscriptions. The system works. I get mine via gmail.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    The system works. I get mine via gmail.

Except when it doesn't. Worked perfectly for me for four years, too, and given the small number of complaints we see, I assume that it works perfectly for the vast majority. But it's not working perfectly now for me. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Except when it doesn't. Worked perfectly for me for four years, too, and given the small number of complaints we see, I assume that it works perfectly for the vast majority. But it's not working perfectly now for me. ne_nau.gif
    try setting your subscriptions to off, then close, then go back and set them to on, instant email.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    try setting your subscriptions to off, then close, then go back and set them to on, instant email.

I tried that when I first noticed the problem, but I will do it again and give an update tomorrow. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Hah! Don't hold your breath. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Seriously, intermittent problems are hard to track down. "Something is happening but we don't know what it is..."
    rolleyes1.gif
    Indeed! As a software developer I sympathize with the effort required to track down a problem like this. There's nothing more difficult than troubleshooting something when you don't know when it will happen.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Richard wrote:
    I tried that when I first noticed the problem, but I will do it again and give an update tomorrow. deal.gif
    I have also tried this but will do it again. I'll report back on the first missed subscription. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    test test test

Can someone reply to this please and thank you?
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    test test test

Can someone reply to this please and thank you?

Reply.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Reply.
    Bleh... did not get a notification from this thread (after 45 minutes) but I did get instant notifications from this thread and this thread. Incidentally, this is the first time that I didn't get notification from this particular thread.

It 'tis a mystery... ne_nau.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    It 'tis a mystery... ne_nau.gif

nod.gif I didn't get a notification from your post requesting a reply but I did get one from your last post. headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    nod.gif I didn't get a notification from your post requesting a reply but I did get one from your last post. headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif
    I think DGrin is messing with us now... rolleyes1.gif I didn't get a notification of this post.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I think DGrin is messing with us now... rolleyes1.gif I didn't get a notification of this post.

But I got one for yours. lol3.gif

Andy: you writing all this down? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    But I got one for yours. lol3.gif

Andy: you writing all this down? mwink.gif
    I got that one! wings.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    Whoa! I just got home (been gone since early this morning) and found a dozen or so subscription notifications that I didn't get over the last couple weeks! Did someone plunge the DGrin pipes? :D
    Travis
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    I also have been having spotty e-mail and last night I received about 10 e-mails from two or three days ago.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact