are these snap shots or more?

JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited November 6, 2009 in People
I got some pics of our 5 month old Max.
How's my sharpness and PP? Please any critique would be helpful!

1.696987647_grLMJ-M.jpg

2.696985299_8CwWv-M.jpg

3.696984499_Tijth-M.jpg

4.696984247_bguxM-M.jpg

5.696987253_5mGup-M.jpg

thanks!
Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
Kinky Friedman

Comments

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Definately moving out of the snapshot zone to the "more" zone! :) You have a cute little boy there!

Okay, my "critique". I'm only a newbie myself so feel free to ignore me. I've been taking pictures (LOTS of them for over a decade) but I just got my first dSLR 3 months ago (I had a film SLR Nikon back "in the day").

#1 My personal fav. This is your "keeper" and "framer" shot of the bunch. I love your composition, his eyes have nice catchlight. Lots of good natural light. The oof adoring Mom behind is very special. A great shot!!! thumb.gif

#2 Good catch light and clear focus on the one eye, but poor framing. I've been reamed about this from many experienced photogs....Don't cut chins or cheeks. The consensus seems to be that a crop off the forehead is FINE, but that is about all that is acceptable.

#3 your burned edges take away from the focus of this shot. It ends up focusing the attention just on his back.

#4 is really cute, but a teensy bit soft and lacks some Pop. If you adjust your Levels this might help a lot! I like this shot.

#5 is cute but he is directly in the sun and this distorts the skin tone and makes his face look harsh. If you could find some nice soft light like in #1.

You are on your way to great photos. Please take these comments with a grain of salt. I'm also new and I'm also ULTRA critical of my own pictures. Just wanting you to make the improvments towards stellar photos as well. Hopefully some profs can chime in :)

Thanks for sharing and welcome!clap.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    #1 is no snapshot. I like it. Lovely photo with nice lighting and sharpness on the babies eyes. Sweet composition.

#2 looks like a cell phone snapshot. Cropping is poor across the mouth and eye. It's also soft.

#3 has no real focal point.

#4 and #5 suffer from being too centered. The face is a bit hot on #5.

keep on shooting this cute subject.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    #1 is no snapshot. I like it. Lovely photo with nice lighting and sharpness on the babies eyes. Sweet composition.

#2 looks like a cell phone snapshot. Cropping is poor across the mouth and eye. It's also soft.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    kidzmom wrote:
    Definately moving out of the snapshot zone to the "more" zone! :) You have a cute little boy there!

Okay, my "critique". I'm only a newbie myself so feel free to ignore me. I've been taking pictures (LOTS of them for over a decade) but I just got my first dSLR 3 months ago (I had a film SLR Nikon back "in the day").

#1 My personal fav. This is your "keeper" and "framer" shot of the bunch. I love your composition, his eyes have nice catchlight. Lots of good natural light. The oof adoring Mom behind is very special. A great shot!!! thumb.gif

#2 Good catch light and clear focus on the one eye, but poor framing. I've been reamed about this from many experienced photogs....Don't cut chins or cheeks. The consensus seems to be that a crop off the forehead is FINE, but that is about all that is acceptable.

#3 your burned edges take away from the focus of this shot. It ends up focusing the attention just on his back.

#4 is really cute, but a teensy bit soft and lacks some Pop. If you adjust your Levels this might help a lot! I like this shot.

#5 is cute but he is directly in the sun and this distorts the skin tone and makes his face look harsh. If you could find some nice soft light like in #1.

You are on your way to great photos. Please take these comments with a grain of salt. I'm also new and I'm also ULTRA critical of my own pictures. Just wanting you to make the improvments towards stellar photos as well. Hopefully some profs can chime in :)

Thanks for sharing and welcome!clap.gif

thanks Kidzmom!!

I wasn't sure about #2, i liked the focus but wasn't sure about the framing. I have this one from the same day that's a bit better but think the focus is a bit soft.
    696985165_wwict-M.jpg
    Jay

Kinky Friedman
    edited November 6, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:

thanks Mitch.
    I respect your opinion and always love the see your photos of your little ones.

I was expecting to get comments on 4&5 being centered.
    Jay

Kinky Friedman
    edited November 6, 2009
    thanks RBrogen!
    Jay

Kinky Friedman
  • toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    No.1 is the best of the lot. Love the soft natural light in No. 4 -- maybe try to simply crop tighter and put him to the left or right and I think you have a nicer, more interesting shot. Best part -- cute kid and a great personal model for a few years before he starts to get annoyed by the camera.