Options

website wedding template...Right! or Wrong!

AndrewStudioAndrewStudio Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited November 9, 2009 in Weddings
I recently came across a wedding photographer website, and I really like their website template. Is it okay for me to use their template? It's template only, and not their pictures or wording.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    entropy07entropy07 Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Is the template that someone else coded for them? Do you know if they bought the template or did it themselves? I would usually suggest against doing that unless the template was suuuuuuuper generic or code that is readily available on dgrin that you know you can use, and just modify parts of it. But in many cases the photographer paid someone else to code a website... I'd have to see the website to be able to better answer this question, but typically I would not do this, this could just cause a lot of trouble. you can email the photog directly and ask them nicely how they got the template, the worst thing they could do is not tell you anything.
    Nikon D700, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8, SB-900
    Site
    Blog
  • Options
    BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    More then likely they bought a template website from one of the main places on the internet to do so...in that case, then yes its totally fine...there are probably many out there that have the same one.
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    BPerron wrote:
    More then likely they bought a template website from one of the main places on the internet to do so...in that case, then yes its totally fine...

By which I hope you mean yes, it's totally fine to purchase the same template. The OP doesn't specify whether he wants to buy the template or recreate the coding.
  • Options
    entropy07entropy07 Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    By which I hope you mean yes, it's totally fine to purchase the same template. The OP doesn't specify whether he wants to buy the template or recreate the coding.

Good point! Buying the same template - no problem. Recreating the coding - dicey.
    Nikon D700, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8, SB-900
    Site
    Blog
  • Options
    AndrewStudioAndrewStudio Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 5, 2009
    Here is the original photographer's website
    http://chrisgeigerphoto.com/

Here is mine
    http://andrewstudio.net/testing/

in my opinion, it's should be okay. Im just using his skeletal structure, not his whole website. There are also lot of other websites that have similar format too. Now that you've seen the two....is it ok?
    Let's hear everyone's opinion. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Here is the original photographer's website
    http://chrisgeigerphoto.com/

Here is mine
    http://andrewstudio.net/testing/

in my opinion, it's should be okay. Im just using his skeletal structure, not his whole website. There are also lot of other websites that have similar format too. Now that you've seen the two....is it ok?
    Let's hear everyone's opinion. Thanks

Why not just have a blog? Personally I do not like either site, its very late 90's in nature...it follows the same idea as blog, so I would just get a sweet wordpress theme and do a blog, then you do not have to worry about copying anyone...but that is just my thoughts on it. Blog-sites are very popular among wedding photogs right now...
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    marikris wrote:

Did I even mention copying a website...all I talked about was buying a template site...and suggested the photog that the OP was looking at might have bought a template (super common and the norm) and if that was the case, its cool to buy the same template...it was a conclusion based on a speculation that needed to be validated, that if it was a template site, then he could buy it all day long...not sure where clarification was needed :-)
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    BPerron wrote:
    Did I even mention copying a website...

No, you didn't :) But the OP didn't make it clear how he was going to obtain the template, and I wanted that clarified for him that buying the template is totally ok.
  • Options
    NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    yeah, I would personally recommend that you check out Wordpress, and if you're looking for a free one, look at Tofurious. He does a great single column theme that you can edit to make however you want.

If you don't mind spending a few bucks you can always go with Prophoto . They are extremely and easily customizable.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
  • Options
    Chris GeigerChris Geiger Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    I recently came across a wedding photographer website, and I really like their website template. Is it okay for me to use their template? It's template only, and not their pictures or wording.

Thanks

No it is not ok for you to use my site or my photos. It is completely dishonest to use my work to represent you. You copied my entire site, including text, photos, layout and navigation. I created my site from scratch and did not make this from a template. I created the nav buttons, headers, graphics all of it my self.

You are way out of line for using my photos and just plastering your ugly logo over top of mine. You are misrepresenting my work as your own. You will not be able to deliver this quality to your customers. You are a fraud.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The only pictures you should have on your web site are photos that you have taken. If you don't have any good photos to show than don't show any. You have no business starting a photography web site and telling people these are you photos.

If you want a web site template then buy one from someone that is selling them. My web site and images are not for you to use.

Why are you asking strangers if it is alright to steel my work? If you had any question about it why did you not call me? You saw my phone number on the site, in fact you changed the number when you stole the template and put it up on your site.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    eek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gif

Holy Freakin' Hi-Jack, Batman! Dude, if that's true (and I'm speaking to the OP) you need to re-check yourself....seriously! deal.gif
    :argue :beatwax :whip
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    Just visited your site, Chris. I have NO WORDS!!!! eek7.gif

Well, I do...but I don't particularly feel like being banned today!
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    The screen captures above were taken on 11/4/09. I see that he has removed the photos now and is building a copy of my site now using different color.

I sent all of the above information to his ISP, but have not received a reply. Normally in a case of copyright theft the ISP would delete the user account.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    And JUST TO BE FAIR (I thought of it after the fact) maybe he was using his name and your images as an example of what he WISHED the site would look like. Either way, even if using his own images for the final roll-out, it's WAAAAAAY too similar...PERIOD. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    And JUST TO BE FAIR (I thought of it after the fact) maybe he was using his name and your images as an example of what he WISHED the site would look like. Either way, even if using his own images for the final roll-out, it's WAAAAAAY too similar...PERIOD. thumb.gif

He modified my photos by slapping his logo over top of mine and then posted it up on his site. He changed my name for his in most places. On the calendar page he removed my scheduled dates and put on up of his own and then put available for the rest of the months. The web site was live with my photos and his name. On top of that he changed the copyright notice. He also changed the package pricing but kept the same packages.

He rolled this web site out with my work. I found it on Google and it has similar meta data from my web site. He just changed Fresno to Houston in the meta data.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    Holy @#$%! My first thought was, ohhh, he tried to recreate the code and put it up there so he could see what he's making. But I see he's subbed in all his information AND slapped his watermark on TOP of yours, Chris. On your photos. Not like the first part wasn't wrong enough, but that second one is :wow wow.
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Yes, the deliberate use of his logo over yours leaves no room for benefit of the doubt in my opinion. It's unconscionable. What on earth possessed him to post it here, only to increase his chances of being busted?? eek7.gif

I see he missed a spot, though, as your watermark is still visible on the contact photo.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Holy.. moly.

So very lame that OP did this. Do your own work, buddy.

Chris, your work looks sweet, btw.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    He modified my photos by slapping his logo over top of mine and then posted it up on his site. He changed my name for his in most places. On the calendar page he removed my scheduled dates and put on up of his own and then put available for the rest of the months. The web site was live with my photos and his name. On top of that he changed the copyright notice. He also changed the package pricing but kept the same packages.

He rolled this web site out with my work. I found it on Google and it has similar meta data from my web site. He just changed Fresno to Houston in the meta data.

That's straight-up hi-jackery there my friend! Ok, forget the whole "being fair" thing. :D :gun2
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Holy.. moly.

So very lame that OP did this. Do your own work, buddy.

Chris, your work looks sweet, btw.

15524779-Ti.gif

looks like the link the OP put up has been taken down, I get a 404 error now

This is why you have to listen to that little voice inside your head. When that voice isn't sure and says you should ask if something is ethical (as was done here) that's usually a good sign that it's not a good idea!
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    Now his is just copying the layout of my site. You can see his current attempt here...

http://andrewstudio.net/

I think he needs to think about his personal creativity before proceeding in the photography biz.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    Shima wrote:

This is why you have to listen to that little voice inside your head.

Specially if everyone who responded to said thread told you to ask the other photographer and see if you can buy the template off somewhere instead of straight up copying eek7.gif Can't get anymore straightforward than that really.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    The guy was not sure if he should be doing it and was looking for someone to tell him that it was ok to use someone work. Nobody here told him it was ok to copy work, thank you all.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    A definite win for harming your career.
    The guy was not sure if he should be doing it and was looking for someone to tell him that it was ok to use someone work. Nobody here told him it was ok to copy work, thank you all.

Well we are mostly really good folk here. Welcome to dgrin, btw. Just realized you were a member since Jul 2008. ha.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    Yes, I have been here awhile I just don't post up much. I also have been using Smugmug for my prints for years.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Sorry to hear of that
    Sorry that someone did that to you Chris. I think that there is karma and his is not good.

Anytime someone uses your inttelectual property like that it's illegal. It's theft. I also think that Dgrin should take some action and close the account.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Yes, I have been here awhile I just don't post up much. I also have been using Smugmug for my prints for years.

Post more often! We're friendly and usually don't bite (hard). j/k, we're a lot of fun and we watch out for each other, we'd love to have you contribute to the forums more often under better circumstances :)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    Dgrin should take some action and close the account.
    Maybe he'll come back and apologize or explain?
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Maybe he'll come back and apologize or explain?

I wonder if he will try and deleted this thread when he sees it.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    I wonder if he will try and deleted this thread when he sees it.

he can't....can only delete his own posts unless the powers have changed that also..................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website