Sunrise on the Noblest Mountain

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited November 18, 2009 in Landscapes
"Of all the fire mountains which like beacons, once blazed along the Pacific Coast, Mount Rainier is the noblest" -- John Muir

I think John might be on to something!

I told myself that I needed to take a break from photography after exhausting nearly all of my vacation romping through the Rockies, Southwest, and waterfalls and fall color in the Pacific Northwest in the past two months.

But I still reflexively check the forecast at a few of my favorite local spots anyway, just in case...

Last night I noticed that the forecast at Rainier looked very promising for sunrise (25% cloud cover, after recent snow fall, full moon), and since the road will be closed for the season soon due to snow, I figured it would be worth checking out, photography hiatus be damned, and set the alarm for 3AM.

I'm glad I did.

Not only did the sunrise turn the mountain pink, but so did the (nearly) full moon about 15 minutes before dawn, and the cloud cover was perfect.

Here are a few of my favorites.

#1: Glow at sunrise

703720913_MMoyW-XL.jpg

#2: Before dawn, the moon turned the mountain pink for a brief period of time, and there was even a rainbow among the clouds and stars.

703724759_zHvHH-XL.jpg

#3:

703726183_3xjHj-XL.jpg

#4: I saw this composition early, but the light didn't highlight the s-curve until a little after sunrise.

703723356_miP7H-XL.jpg

I made it back home at 9 AM and into work before 10 AM :D

Comments

• dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    bowdown.gif
    Holy $#!+. You said you got some good pictures but this is even better than I was expecting. If I knew sunrise was going to be this good, I would have accepted that open invitation to go along with you. This is worth another week of being sick.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Dang! Wish I could pull off a good shoot and still get to work on time. rolleyes1.gif

First two are quite awesome as usual.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    It's hard to believe, but you keep outdoing yourself bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Sunrise pink, moon light blue color, reflections, snow, mountains, water, clouds, alpine glow, s curves, give me a fr...n breakrolleyes1.gif
  • shadesshades Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Beautiful shots! I really like number 3. The reflections and the moon shine are great. thumb.gif
    This is my Nikon. There are many like it but, this one is mine.

Bart Williams
    Oregon

http://nwprophoto.smugmug.com/
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    bowdown.gif
    Holy $#!+. You said you got some good pictures but this is even better than I was expecting. If I knew sunrise was going to be this good, I would have accepted that open invitation to go along with you. This is worth another week of being sick.

Thanks, and I agree that experiencing something like this is worth a week of being sick. I've been up to Rainier dozens of times and have never regretted going even if the conditions didn't cooperate. But I've regretted not going many times. So I figured the easiest way to avoid regret is just to go all the time :D

It was really cool seeing the moonlight alpenglow (which also affected the color of the clouds). The one other time I had been at Rainier under a full moon at sunrise there was too much cloud cover for that.
    edited November 5, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Dang! Wish I could pull off a good shoot and still get to work on time. rolleyes1.gif

First two are quite awesome as usual.

Thanks Aaron. This particular spot is only about 80 miles away and usually I can get there at sunrise in less than two hours. I'm really lucky to live so close.
    edited November 5, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    It's hard to believe, but you keep outdoing yourself bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Sunrise pink, moon light blue color, reflections, snow, mountains, water, clouds, alpine glow, s curves, give me a fr...n breakrolleyes1.gif

As much as I'd like to take full credit for it, when you see something this awesome all you have to do is take the lens cap off and let nature do the rest :D
    edited November 5, 2009
    shades wrote:
    Beautiful shots! I really like number 3. The reflections and the moon shine are great. thumb.gif

Thanks Bart. There were two peaks, when the moon lit up the mountain and surrounding clouds about 15 minutes before dawn, and right at sunrise when the sun did the same thing.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Ron, I have come to expect nothing but the best from you and this series is no exception.
    These are beautiful!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    These are just beautiful thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif Jaw droppin' stunning.

Well worth getting up at 3AM and picking up the camera while taking a break from photography. I've found that even if I set the camera down...my mind/eyes are still looking for something :D
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    You captured an amazing sunrise. As usual, it's hard to pick a favorite, but I do really like those moon shots. When I see shots like these, it inspires me to try harder. Or just throw away my camera.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 5, 2009
    Early bird catches the worm. nod.gif Really great stuff Ron. bowdown.gif
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    really GREAT shots man. clap.gif
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Great stuff Ron! really lovely series, I've got to get up there one of these months.
  • wirehuntwirehunt Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Impressive indeed. bowdown.gif
    Stephen Dickson: The one from the south island of New Zealand.

Work hard, play harder. bloggy
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Beauty !
    Very nice photographs as always clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited November 6, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Ron, I have come to expect nothing but the best from you and this series is no exception.
    These are beautiful!!

Ron

Thanks Ron, but it's going to be awhile before I'll get a scene this awesome to shoot, so hopefully you'll lower your expectations for my next few posts :D
    edited November 6, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    These are just beautiful thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif Jaw droppin' stunning.

Well worth getting up at 3AM and picking up the camera while taking a break from photography. I've found that even if I set the camera down...my mind/eyes are still looking for something :D

Definitely, I was very glad I decided to go up there, I've conditioned myself to long drives (this was a short one - only 2 hours each way) and to no sleep, so that part wasn't a problem, I just got really lucky with the cloud cover and the moon and the ice and reflection... all the elements came together.
    edited November 6, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    You captured an amazing sunrise. As usual, it's hard to pick a favorite, but I do really like those moon shots. When I see shots like these, it inspires me to try harder. Or just throw away my camera.

Thanks Bryan. The only reason I have these shots and you don't is because you weren't there. If you were there your shots would be just as good. So don't give up your hobby, but you might want to consider moving to the western side of the country :D
    edited November 6, 2009
    Thanks for the comments everyone! Hopefully there will be at least one more time I can make it up to Rainier before they close the road due to snow, but there's a lot of snow in the forecast so this might have been my last opportunity at this spot for awhile.
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    #1 is gorgeous!! clap.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Awesome shots Ron. #1 is my fave. You got it going man!!! :D

Cheers,