Jessica~2010 Senior

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited November 5, 2009 in People
I just finished up editing her session and wanted to share some with you all. I would like to know what everyone thinks of my OCF results. I've been using this technique more and more, but am wanting advice if it's not looking like it should.

686148441_YmW6W-L-1.jpg
700688660_gTjqy-L.jpg
700689093_KzD7b-L.jpg
700691710_Mynsi-L.jpg
700692418_szejo-L.jpg
701946619_H9DhK-L.jpg
701947038_wyVt9-L.jpg
701948294_TPfxM-L.jpg
701951893_Qv8C2-L.jpg
You know me, I just love texture and had to try it on here. Not real sure about it....
703711210_6YCdf-L.jpg
703715192_xzeR8-L.jpg
703718095_LmVMN-L.jpg

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Love the colours and the lighting, but there's not much variation in her expression, and in some of them the smile looks a bit forced. She's a gorgeous girl, and her eyes are beautiful.

1. Beautiful with nice OOF, but why is she laying down… eek7.gif

2. Gorgeous, but I don't care for the jacket esp where the shadows are blocking up under her left armpit (OK it's senior shot, so it's de rigueur I suppose…) - if it were me, crop crop crop = best of the bunch!!!! thumb.gif

3. Just the head is great, crop the cleavage (it's OOF anyway…) - great light & modeling - nice job! thumb.gif

4. Would she really be wearing heels like that in this situation? What's that in the trees? headscratch.gif

5. Nice! I'd crop even tighter…

(BTW is the shirt in 4 the same as the one she's wearing in #5? The greens look totally different on my monitor headscratch.gif )

6. Nah! Lines & the bricks are distracting, and so are the shadows…

7. Too much wasted space on the left - OK, it's OOF but I don't think it's necessary; also those harsh shadows again (uuuggghh!) headscratch.gif

8. Crop crop crop! The right of the steps is unnecessary! snip! snip! snip!
    The shadows are blocking up a bit - but she does look more relaxed…

9. Ah! More suitable footwear… the in-focus background is distracting, and there's that hard shadow again…

10. Great texture for the background plus gorgeous girl = confusion. It's trying to be both but it's doing justice to neither. It should be either the one or the other. I don't know about the pose either (sort of reminds me of poses we used to strike as kids to cries of "…What a way to spend Easter!!!…" eek7.gif

11. I like the light in this one. She's certainly a looker; I'm not sure about the pose - it looks slightly awkward, and she's too central in the frame; also she's had her right elbow sliced off…

12. Crop about 20% off the left. What's the big, black shadowy hole thing in the background? It worries me…

Nice set of pictures, though - thanks for sharing!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Really nice. SHARP SHARP SHARP! What are you using for OCF? One or two flashes???? Looks wonderful! I like everything you did. She looks best when she smiles genuinely, as in 1 and 6. Thanks for sharing.
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Great series of a very pretty young lady. Great eyes!! Wow!!

My only comment would be she had pretty muc the same expression, smile, in all the shots. Pretty smile but think a little variation to show off her personality would have been nice.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    :D Thanks all. The ones with the more defined shadows were done with off camera flash. One flash and umbrella. I am getting another flash to change the look of the images. That is what I wanted more critiques on is the OCF....I love the results that I got, but I feel like it could use some improvement.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Nice work, Julie.thumb.gif I can't add to Wil's complete critique, other than to watch your verticals in shots like 4 & 7. Really beautiful shots overall.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    This is a really good set, Julie - one of your best, I think.

That said, i'm not crazy about the hard-shadow flash unless the entire scene is also that kind of "edgy" look and/or it's a ringflash with the full shadow goin' on. The bg here is still pretty traditional rather than "urban chic" so I find the shadow kind of conflicts with it a tad.

However, a lovely series - you should both be happy with them! thumb.gif