Are these too warm?

kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
edited November 6, 2009 in People
Okay...a storyboard for my Halloween day pics with my son. Are these too warm? Perhaps a bit hard to tell from the S.B. so I've included the larger pic also. Also to add...he and his brother have a very "tan" skintone (unlike my white girls, lol!) THXXX!:lust
Kelly

ResizedLaCitrouilleDeHalloween.jpg

#2 Naturalcolor.jpg

ResizedHalloween.jpg

#4 Safe to say this one isn't too warm! LOL! Just playing around here to change the look entirely. He was setting out his black spiders so I thought I'd try to make it look a bit more edgy.
ErikwithPumkins_edited-1.jpg

Comments

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    After posting this I'm thinking invariably--- YES. Perhaps it was the color cast from the pumpkin? Hmmm. I've changed the WB from "as shot" to "daylight". Which is better? Or are both still too warm? Anxiously awaiting critique :D
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Nice job! If you have some different looks, I'd suggest pulling those in as #1 and #4 are similar but not too similar; but 2&3 are much too close, with #2 being too squinty relative to how nice his eyes are in #3. At the very least if you have an option to replace #2 with some other shot, or make it a 3-picture panel.

#2 is about right, perhaps even a bit cool.
    #3 is very green
    #4 still working on my own understanding of good vs. evil desaturation looks, so no comment.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited November 5, 2009
    THANK YOU ANDREW! :) I can always count on you for honest critique!!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the input :D Okay...maybe your idea of a 3 panel is better. I have a bunch going landscape too,but that doesn't work here (plus his bangs were so straight in those I don't like them anyway --time for a haircut). I have some that are not the same perspective (ie full body as opposed to semi head shots). Would you add this full length pic to the 4 panel or just go w/ 3 panel? And yes my desat pic probabally borders somewhere along the lines of EVIL desat, lol...but we're talking spiders here so I didn't have any qualms with being crazy rolleyes1.gif

Here is the optional shot...(perhaps too warm or too green? (to be determined)
    ErikwithPumpkin2_edited-3.jpg
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    On my calibrated laptop monitor, #2 is the most natural and pleasing looking skin tone. Hope that helps! (and what a cutie - I don't think we've seen him before!)
    edited November 5, 2009
    Still greenish. In PS, I applied a 15% magenta filter, and an 11% warming (orange) filter. I like the angle more since it has variation relative to the others, and is a good angle overall. Others would have to chime on what makes for a good storyboard, I've not done these sorts of things (my wife make scrapbook pages from stuff though). For me, if the posing is similar, the expressions have to change (like Elaine's SB), or the images have to be varied feels/angles like the baby that fstoplife did. That said, this image becomes the one outlier in some relatively consistent posing, so I go with 3 images where his expressions are varied, like you have with 1/3/4.

ErikwithPumpkin2_edited-3.jpg

Edit: looking now, I think I'd bump the warm down a bit more...a bump up the exposure a bit.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Number 2 looks to me to be the best one in terms of WB, at least on my monitor, which is calibrated.

Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    http://www.zoradphotography.com
    Montreal, Canada
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    +1 on #2 being the most pleasing. (Uncal monitor, yeay). His eyes are stand-outs, btw!
    edited November 5, 2009
    Thanks for the input Joe, Marikris and Diva. I calibrated this monitor when I bought it a year ago...BUT I'm wondering if I need to calibrate my eyes too, lol! I did honestly think 2 was more natural myself. Do you think some of this color craziness came from the fact that he was holding that bright ORANGE glowing pumpkin? How can I combat that when shooting? Glad to confirm that 2 is best. :) Andrew, I agree that 3 panel will work well for this...otherwise just too redundant (good call!). I will play with that magenta and orange combo. BTW, I do have a template with a landscape, portrait, landscape that might work for the more diverse images. I will just need to play some more. Diva...yes he is the least interested in photos of the 4 kids. I bribed him with these fun plastic spiders on Halloween. He was in 7th heaven! :D
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    The one thing I got myself and I still use it today, is a grey card, actually called a WhiBal from a company called rawworkflow. I take a shot with the WhiBal card at the beginning and then shoot all my shots (take another WhiBal shot if lighting conditions change) and then in post, I simply click on all my photos and adjust my white balance off the WhiBal shot, and it auto adjusts all the photos for that set. It seems to work beautifully, unless I get all excited and forget to shoot a WhiBal card.rolleyes1.gif I don't use it when I shoot my kids because they aren't going to sit still and let me Laughing.gif:D

But, for older kids, or adults, it works beautifully!

Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    http://www.zoradphotography.com
    Montreal, Canada
    edited November 6, 2009
    These are also available and double as a reflector. Though the little card referenced above seems like a nice little product.

http://www.photovisionvideo.com/store/shop.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=DCT
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site