Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm 1:2.8 D (Is it any good?)

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited November 9, 2009 in Cameras
One up for sale locally. I love my 50mm 1.8 and use it often for a carry around lens. But for travel situations on a DX format it seems a little long. The first time I used it on a trip I was wishing I had something wider.

So is this 28mm 2.8 a similar quality lens? The 50 is wicked sharp and fast focusing. Should I expect similar performance out of this 28? Or would it be worth waiting for another better wide prime to come up? And if so, what is a better one in the 20-30mm range?

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    I own the 28mm and it is every bit as sharp as the 50mm. Focuses faster in low light also.
    Steve

Website
  • alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    I heard good things about it. I have the old 28mm/2.8 AI version (MF) and it is by far the sharpest lens I own. Love it.

Here's a recent shot with the 28mm/2.8
    663083247_NYhfm-L.jpg
    D300 - 1/60" - f/16 - ISO 200
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Sounds like I should hop on it and give it a try. If anything I could sell it again.
    edited November 5, 2009
    Just talked to the guy. He says it has only been used a few times. But one thing slightly concerns me. He said the camera, (his d300) needed to be programed to recognize this lens. He also said the 50 1.8 he has needed to be as well. My 50 1.8 works fine on the D90 and D300s. So? Is this a D300 thing? Or possible problem with the lens thing?
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Zerodog wrote:
    He said the camera, (his d300) needed to be programed to recognize this lens.

Huh? Did he buy the Chinese version?
    Steve

Website
    edited November 5, 2009
    I will find out. Maybe he didn't have the little switch flipped on the aperture ring? Would that do it? I think my 50 is a china one and it is great.

Are the 28s made in Japan?
    edited November 9, 2009
    So I went and looked. This one was not so hot. Guy handed it to me in his dark living room and said, "here it is......do you want it?"

I asked if I could see it in the light. And he seemed surprised I would ask. It was a good thing. The lens was filthy. When I asked for a lens cloth he looked surprised again. Then said, "there are a few little scuffs, but they don't effect the image quality at all." WTF! I drove 45min in my VW bug to go see this POS! I said forget it. But not before I tried it on the D300s. It focuses and reads the settings fine. This dude was a kook. Oh well. I don't really need it now anyway.