681723529_Gs9az-XL.jpg

2)
681723859_fsXvB-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    I like these two shots.
    Usually I want to see some emotion conveyed, but I like these as is. You get a good sense of the communal dinner. I like how tightly they sit together and all share from the main dish and the sense that it's a quick meal (note the guy who doesn't even bother to take his hat off).

I find the location odd/funny--looks like one lonesome table amid a bunch of bikes (their bikes?).

I also find it amusing that not one of them is glaring at you or at least looking at you quizzically--I know if I was out eating an outdoor meal with co-workers/friends I'd wonder why some guy was walking around our table snapping shots.
    PS--that soup looks comforting with the steam rising.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    1)

The most impressive thing about these two images is not the images themselves, but the fact that you shot them, that you are getting right into the middle of things, without 'fear or favor,' and are shooting life as you find it. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Either of these images would be terrific were it part of a story. When shooting a photo story, or doing a documentary project, we often need images to fill out the story, to convey a part of it, and the fact that a given image isn't a visual knock-out really doesn't matter. But as stand alones, I'm left thinking - okay, group of guys having dinner. So?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    B. D., I still get a slightly queasy feeling in my belly when I decide to take these sort of shots. They know I'm there. I'm invading their space, spending time over their shoulders, leaning into them (love the 20mm, but you REALLY need to get close with that lens). But by this stage I'm so compelled to take shots that it easily overcomes the nerves.

Liz, who says they didn't gawk at me? The ability to appear non-threatening or empathise in some fashion normally disarms the subjects and they go on about their business. I'll sometimes share the images with them afterwards and I'll get lots of thumbs up and they have a good laugh with each other. And then I move on.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    B. D., I still get a slightly queasy feeling in my belly when I decide to take these sort of shots. They know I'm there. I'm invading their space, spending time over their shoulders, leaning into them (love the 20mm, but you REALLY need to get close with that lens). But by this stage I'm so compelled to take shots that it easily overcomes the nerves.

Liz, who says they didn't gawk at me? The ability to appear non-threatening or empathise in some fashion normally disarms the subjects and they go on about their business. I'll sometimes share the images with them afterwards and I'll get lots of thumbs up and they have a good laugh with each other. And then I move on.

Well, I still get that queasy feeling in my belly. And, quite frankly, I think it's good to have that feeling, because it's a sign that you understand that you are invading someone's space, and should be respectful. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed