Compaq EVO W6000 (Good?)

kbertkbert Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited July 14, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
with P4 2.2 GHz Xeon cpu, 1G rambus ram, 40 G HDD with onboard SCSI.

Any one experienced with these? Do they make a good-great PS machine?
What should I look for or plan on doing with the basic unit?

Please help, I'm learning!
Karl

Comments

• luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    Hi Karl,

kbert wrote:
    with P4 2.2 GHz Xeon
    I think this is a contradiction in terms. A P4 is not a Xeon and vice versa. Intel offer multiple chip ranges for Desktops/Workstations:

Celeron: Cheap and cheerful

P4: More powerful, more expensive, functionality enhancements for end users, video processing extensions and the like

Xeon: Faster still for hard-core mathsy stuff and throughput, functionality enhancements for severs and workstations. Supports better parralelism (I think) than P4

Itanium 2: Faster still (though subject to some abuse), enhancements for high end servers, supercomputers and very high end workstations. Can get machines with 128 of these things...

If you copied the description from a website, I would be concerned about their relibility. If you could provide a link?

An ordinary P4 based system would do the job quite nicely (possibly actually better, depending on the way the Photoshop is optimised and compiled).

>1G rambus ram

If you've got the money to buy Xeon processors, you could trade down, take a P4 and more RAM, 2Gb would be better. Personally I've had bad experiences with RAMBUS and have found it to be generally not worth the money, You millage may differ...

>40 G HDD

That's tiny. I use a 60Gb HD in a laptop and 30Gb is taken with software. I use at least 250Gb for photos. 40Gb won't hold many photoshop files...

> with onboard SCSI.

Hmmm.... SATA is likely to be cheaper if a bit slower (at the last comparison I read, some 10 months ago). But you'll almost certainly need more space than this though, so go SATA and buy a bigger disk with the saving.

Doesn't sound that good value for money to me, but your millage may vary.

>Any one experienced with these?

Not personally.

Hope this helps,

Luke