Bar Mitzvah's anyone?

rednblaccrednblacc Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited November 6, 2009 in People
Hello All!! I have not been on here in quite awhile. Change in family life.... Anyways I was wondering if anyone has ever shot a Bar Mitzvah or know of anyone who has. I really need help with this one. PLEASE??

I didnt know where exactly to post this one. Pleeeeease can someone help me? I was referred to someone who has seen my creativeness I guess so they say. The only thing is I have not done one before and im sure it will be a great experience. If there is anyone that can help me I would GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!! And if u wanna come help me shoot it We can split the proceeds LOL!!!

Anyways thanks in advance... HEEEEEEEEEELP!!! LOL

-Sabirah

thanks a Bunch!!
"Complaining only Lessens your enjoyment in Life"- Sabirah Numan 2008 :thumb

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Where are you located? A Bar Mitzvah in northern Jersey is very different from here in Austin, Texas.... Can't help you much, since I haven't done this, but been to a few, good friends with the local photogs who do this professionally, and my daughter is coming up in about 2 years... Are you shooting the party, are you doing shots during the service (some Temples allow this -- no flash), are you doing posed shots before Shabbat, and then the party after? For some, it isn't much different than doing a wedding (family shots, table shots, cutting the challah, the chair dance/hora, etc.). Do you have greenscreen or props for posing? The kiddos (and adults) love to make take-home pix/buttons/magnets/whatever...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Don't know if this thread of shots MItchell took of his daughter will help - some great shots... Perhaps he will see this thread and jump in :D
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Experience?
    A Bar Mitzvah is a religious event. There can be many rules to be followed depending on the Rabbi/Cantor/Synagogue and the branch of Judiasm. There ared some different regional traditions. The Temple part is quite solemn and the reception can be quiet and respectful or a full party of wild 13 year olds.

It's a once in a lifetime event. And if you haven't shot one, or attended many of them to understand the happenings, then I'd recommend you let an experienced photographer shoot the day.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Don't know if this thread of shots MItchell took of his daughter will help - some great shots... Perhaps he will see this thread and jump in :D

Diva dragged out that old thread!!

Sabirah, I would strongly recommend you make an appointment to see the temple's administrator or Rabbi as soon as possible. You need to clarify a few things well in advance of the Bar Mitzvah date.

1. Most temples will not allow any photography within the sanctuary on the day of the Bar Mitzvah. Mine has a window through one of the entry doors. I often try to shoot through this window during the ceremony, but I confess I rarely get keepers from the actual event.

2. Can you get access to the sanctuary during the week before the ceremony? I would strongly recommend taking your formals in the sanctuary before the Bar Mitzvah day. Get everyone dressed up as they will be for the actual event and take your photos without feeling rushed. The temple may even give you access to the Torah if the Rabbi is present. Mine does this for me. Make sure to get some shots with the Rabbi if he/she is willing.
    407551591_wYrvS-L.jpg

3. As mentioned, there are some key shots to make sure you get during the reception after the ceremony. Blessing of the wine and the challa. The hora which is a raucous circle dance. Usually the family will get lifted in chairs for this which can make for some fun photos.

4. Ask the parents if they want table photos. This will make sure you get a photo of every guest at the event. It may not seem like much photographically, but these shots can preserve the memory of older family members who might not get out on the dance floor and have their photo taken during the action of the party. For this reason, some of these table photos will be cherished for years.

Good luck!