BW Of Farm Poplars

DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
edited November 13, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Work in progress... :D Your thoughts on this would be welcome.
Michael

704990379_BNsAv-L.jpg
Michael

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    My thought -- My eye is drawn to the top of the stump and the stump in whole with the leaves around it. I like how there's a little path near it with the leaves all around it.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Hi DaddyO.....I'm with Mary K., my eye go's to the stump and your shot is the row of trees ....... IMHO........ AZZARO
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Howdy Michael,

Neat image and processing, I have to agree with the others, the tree line, the path and the leaves work so well together, but the stump throws off the continuity of the 3 elements.

But if you're happy with it, that's all that really counts:D
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    My thought -- My eye is drawn to the top of the stump and the stump in whole with the leaves around it. I like how there's a little path near it with the leaves all around it.

Thanks for your thoughts Mary Kim. Means a lot to have them. Looks like I am
    going to have to rethink where to go with the total image from where I thought I was going. :D
    Michael
    edited November 7, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi DaddyO.....I'm with Mary K., my eye go's to the stump and your shot is the row of trees ....... IMHO........ AZZARO
    Quite correct... it is of the trees and leaves more than anything.
    The stump framed in for foreground interest to complete the whole
    balance of things as I saw it.
    Looks like a reshoot is in order. :D Thanks for the feedback.
    Michael
    edited November 7, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Michael,

Neat image and processing, I have to agree with the others, the tree line, the path and the leaves work so well together, but the stump throws off the continuity of the 3 elements.

But if you're happy with it, that's all that really counts:D
    Thanks Craig. thumb.gif Looks like the stump goes. I had the best intentions
    including it but it is very good to know it does not work there. I'll go back
    and frame up a photo without it and try that.
    Michael
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited November 7, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    The stump framed in for foreground interest to complete the whole
    balance of things as I saw it.
    Looks like a reshoot is in order. :D Thanks for the feedback.

Just to confuse you, I think the stump does exactly what you wanted and think the composition would be less interesting without it. If anything, I would make it a bit darker so that it stands out more. thumb.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Hey Michael,

Isn't it great to see how differently folks react to a picture? I'm with Richard on this one. I see the stump as an important integral part to the story. I love the sense of " life " in the living trees, yet, right across the simple little trail, rests the spectre of " death " as evidenced by the stump.

The dichotomy in this shot is most arresting.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    I had the best intentions
    including it but it is very good to know it does not work there. I'll go back
    and frame up a photo without it and try that.

Oh no, don't take the stump out. I should of been more clear in my posting. The stump is an eye-catcher. I like how it drew me to the trail/path that was exposed, but surrounded by leaves. Reminded me of when I was young and would walk funky to move the leaves out of my way...sorry I digressed :D

Maybe it was the title.....I really don't like giving my photos titles because it draws a person to a subject within a photo or it gives a person a perception of what to feel when they see the photo. You called it BW of Farm Poplars...I looked at the trees in the background, but my eye kept going to the stump. Not that the tree's weren't interesting, but the stump was more so to my eye. :D

Tom said it best -- he liked the life of the living trees along with the death of the stump.

So I think we were all seeing it the way you wanted to present it - just some of us drew a different reaction to the stump :D

I've come back to this photo many times because I like how you processed it and because I got an idea from it. I used your photo to set up a photo I'd like to take. Your photo inspired me wings.gif And you thought it was all about a stump rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 11, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Just to confuse you, I think the stump does exactly what you wanted and think the composition would be less interesting without it. If anything, I would make it a bit darker so that it stands out more. thumb.gif
    Thanks for your feedback Richard. I'll try to get past being too confused. :D
    I can see the moderate need for more dark to the stump. My concern was losing any detail to the
    stump by going any darker than I already have with the burn and dodge tools. I'll play with it some
    more none the less to see if I can manage more dark there. :D
    Michael
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Hey Michael,

If your interest point was the trees, not the stump, then I think you shot it backward, or maybe processed it that way. Meaning: Your eye is drawn to contrast first, color & lines. The stump is SHARPER than the trees, and is also contrasting to the leaves around it. So, that's what's drawing and holding my eyes there.

I think the composition is good, the leading lines are good & I definitely like the stump for foreground interest and depth.

So, to me, if you are showcasing the trees, make them the star, not the other way around.

YMMV :D
    Randy