Winter Time Shooting - Help Needed!

rle5rle5 Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited November 11, 2009 in Technique
I would like to ask for tips, suggestions... etc.

With winter upon us, the temperature outside is soon going to be too cold according to the manual that came with my Rebel XSi (450D).

The manual doesn't mention operation below 0 celcius, and I am wondering what the consequences of using the camera in cold temperatures would be?

Any thoughts? Tips? Advice? Is there some sort of casing, or weatherproofing I could get? I am totally amped about being able to do winter shots, but do not want to risk damaging my equipment.

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    I've used my Nikon D80 outside in relatively cold weather, near or just below 0 F with no problems. I hear battery charge can be shortened. I try to keep it under my coat when not shooting to keep the snow off.

Other than that I'll have to leave it to more experienced equipment posters.
  • ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    I have a Nikon D80 and I shot in very cold weather without any issue (up to -20 Celsius). The glass might fog up a little when you go inside but it comes back pretty quick. Hence, shoot happily, you should not have any problem. Your fingers will freeze before the camera.

444170240_CqhrU-M-1.jpg
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    I've shot my 40D and my Rebel XTi in temps at -30 with a windchill that was much worse. I have not a clue if windchill even effects a camera or not tho.

No issues yet and I'm going on my 3rd winter with my camera. I do bag it before hopping back into the car. Then it goes right back into the backpack. I don't keep it in the front of the car in the winter, but on the backseat only because I don't want it to warm up to soon. I crank up the heat in the jeep as soon as I get in because I'm usually freezing :D Another reason I do that is because if I stop and want to take a photo or hike in somewhere my camera is still somewhat cool/cold when I take it out again. No drastic temp change. I may be way off on doing this, but it works for me so I keep on doing it.

One thing I've noticed ... my hands freeze touching the camera. I see they sell neoprene covers for camera's and I've thought about buying one. Not for the camera, but for my hands.

Enjoy your winter photography :D
  • BladeFlapBladeFlap Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I've shot my 40D and my Rebel XTi in temps at -30 with a windchill that was much worse. I have not a clue if windchill even effects a camera or not tho.

No issues yet and I'm going on my 3rd winter with my camera. I do bag it before hopping back into the car. Then it goes right back into the backpack. I don't keep it in the front of the car in the winter, but on the backseat only because I don't want it to warm up to soon. I crank up the heat in the jeep as soon as I get in because I'm usually freezing :D Another reason I do that is because if I stop and want to take a photo or hike in somewhere my camera is still somewhat cool/cold when I take it out again. No drastic temp change. I may be way off on doing this, but it works for me so I keep on doing it.

One thing I've noticed ... my hands freeze touching the camera. I see they sell neoprene covers for camera's and I've thought about buying one. Not for the camera, but for my hands.

Enjoy your winter photography :D

Yes, what she said is all spot on.
    Keep your battery in your pocket until it's time to shoot. Put the camera back in a bag/case before you go inside or in a car and you'll avoid the fogging. Basically you are trying to slow down the temperature change so it's not so sudden. Don't breathe on your viewfinder.
    My first tripod head was a gimbal type which got very "rachety" in the cold. My ball head is much better.
    If shooting at night, headlamps with a red filter are great.
    Thin liner gloves inside of mittens work well.

hmmmmmm what else. oh yeah get some of those pocket chemical handwarmers! lifesavers.
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    And, go to Walmart and by a cheap pair of hunter's mittens - the kind where the cover over your finger tips flips backward (and catches on a piece of velcro) so you only have to expose your finger tips for the fine work :)

I live in Maritime Canada so know a lot about being damp and bloody cold!eek7.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada