Leonid Meteor Shower 2009

ChoeyRepliedChoeyReplied Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited November 11, 2009 in Technique
So idk if anyone has already started a thread about this, but supposedly the night of November 17th till dawn of the 18th there will be a crazy meteor shower. Im just looking for so advice or experiences from people who may have taken picture of these before. I still have a pretty basic set up, D40x and the kit lens and 55-200 lens. I would assume you would want to take long exposures with a medium ISO. Any advice or general discussion would be nice. Thanks.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 7, 2009
    The only meteor track I have captured is this shot from Wild Utah II last October. Shot from a tripod with a cable release, of course.

Early morning before sunrise, 20mm Zeiss Distagon, ISO 800, ~ 60 seconds at f5.6 or f8 ( the aperture is not captured in the EXIF data as this lens is strictly a mechanical and optical device, but f5.6 is what I remember using )

I was not aware of the track at the time of shooting, only later looking at the image on my computer.

687646181_5dfqC-XL.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Thanks for the reminder, I always miss this or its cloudy.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Awsome! I got some shots of stuff a month or so ago, but wasn't impressed. I did learn ALOT and am really wanting to take another wack at it!
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8