2 kids, 1 red bridge and the new 7D

toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited November 14, 2009 in People
Still learning this photography game, but excited to get out and use my new 7D. Switching from Nikon to Canon and having a little problem getting used to AF, but really like the camera -- and as I video guy I can't wait to play more with that part of it. Anyway -- a quick shoot with the girls -- would love some C&C.

(1) (also cropped horizontally, but like the frame of reference with the legs hanging out the window)
702841532_gkmu2-L.jpg

(2) (would you edit out the sunspots or not? Is yes, how?)
702790454_dVcGg-L.jpg

(3)
702803328_N5BBp-L.jpg

(4)
702809881_ZgsHg-L.jpg

(5)
702814173_Ft5ga-L.jpg

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    3 & 4 are fantastic! I personally would not edit-out the sun spots...I like 'em! Maybe get rid of the annoying houses in the BG though. #3 is simply spot-on with comp! thumb.gif It's a bit "hot" in the top left but WHATEVER! :D The comp, IMHO, over-rides any techno mumbo jumbo.
  • toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    thanks
    Thanks Darren -- appreciate the comments. You're right on the houses -- need to clean that part up.

BTW - clicked through to your website. Very nicely done -- did you build it yourself?
  • wirehuntwirehunt Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    A crop on the houses would get them gone, however I think there a fitting part of the shot, they give it a reference. I take it this is a suburban park?

You've done a fantastic job of these, personally I wouldn't change a thing. Well done! bowdown.gif
    Stephen Dickson: The one from the south island of New Zealand.

Work hard, play harder. bloggy
    edited November 8, 2009
    wirehunt:
    Thanks wirehunt --- yes, shot in the burbs. Worked most of the time to keep building and stoplights out of the background. This shot just didn't work out that way...I think a little photoshop to take them out might be a good idea (or the tighter crop).
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    I have camera envy! I can't wait to get a 7D - hopefully I get a few more weddings booked so I'll have an excuse to buy one!

I love #1, 3, and 4. Great work! #3 is my fav. That would look awesome on a large canvas print thumb.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    How did I miss this post? These are FANTASTIC shots! Oh my...I love #1 SO much. Just a gorgeous, gorgeous capture! Looks like your camera is a lot of fun. I also really love #3. The heart in the foreground is just perfect for that! CUTE kids!!!!! And adorable matching coats/hats! LOVE IT!
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Fantastic!
    I'm with Dawson--have camera envy as well.

Great work on all your shots. I LOVE the tunnel shot. Your composition there is wonderful.

~jb
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
    edited November 12, 2009
    thanks all
    Thanks for the nice words. Got really lucky with the heart graffiti on the bridge. Was trying to get the girls silhouetted going the other and wouldn't have had the heart -- frustrated I went down to that end and told them to race to the other side -- good lesson in always moving around in your setting or I might have missed the heart.

Curious what people think looks better on a different crop of No. 1 -- vertical with the legs or horizontal and tighter on the face?

702842077_Xa5hG-L.jpg
  • bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    As much as I like the first version of number one, I feel like I'm far closer to understanding her in the second version. She looks like she's looking off, into a fairy tale or something, and it feels lost on me with the first version.

Both are excellent pictures, but I like the 2nd crop!

~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Numero Uno!!!
    toddb wrote:
    Curious what people think looks better on a different crop of No. 1 -- vertical with the legs or horizontal and tighter on the face?

I still like the first one, hands down. thumb.gif
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Original. The legs add so much to image, IMO.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site