Can you see curves here?
28297190-L.jpg
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    I see curves in the straw, the straw hats, and their backs, but they don't seem to dominate the shot so the composition doesn't support the curves as a subject. Perhaps a combination of lower contrast and simpler foreground/background might help? ne_nau.gif

Erich
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    erich6 wrote:
    I see curves in the straw, the straw hats, and their backs, but they don't seem to dominate the shot so the composition doesn't support the curves as a subject. Perhaps a combination of lower contrast and simpler foreground/background might help? ne_nau.gif

Erich
    Thanks for your input. I had the feeling that the curves did not dominate the shot enough. I'll try fiddling with it a bit, but I think I'll probably have to get another subject.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    Yes, Rutt used people leaning over with a car w curves, for something. It worked, got him into the finals, but just the people...........it would be a stretch.

I have my landscapes..............they are the last thing I posted, on the landscape thread.
    I was hoping to use one of them, but for several reasons I just don't think they would work. Curves aren't good enough, no punch line, etc.

ginger

that is a good photo, though.

What about planting lines, sometimes they are in curves.......
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    Pear shaped curves

How about these? Comments please.
    28410588-L.jpg

Exif : Taken 7-14-05, Canon EOS Digital RebelXT, f/5.6, ISO 400, focal length 55mm, 1/20 sec. Aperture priority
    28410592-L.jpg

Exif: Taken 7-14-05, Canon EOS digital rebel XT, f/5.6, ISO 400, focal length 130mm, 1/15 sec. Aperture priority.
    28410592-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2005
    Comments please?
    Bump, anyone ?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 15, 2005
    I like your pears, Snappy. Nice warm side lighting. I can't evaluate the tonal scale on this monitor at the office, but the graphical curves I like. Clean, simple, spare. Nice shot.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    I really do like the pears, Snappy. Very sensual, IMO. I cannot evaluate the technical things. I do like the lighting. Nothing is bothering me in the execution, I think if it bothers someone it is just a matter of one artist and another.

I really like them,

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    Prefer the pears over the two old pears. Great shot. They look attractive and ready to eat. I almost grabbed my screen so to speak.
    Number two is just a tad more special in my eyes.
    Go for it, this is an excellent curves picture. (I have been fiddling with cherries, but your pears definitely have more appeal)
    clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I like your pears, Snappy. Nice warm side lighting. I can't evaluate the tonal scale on this monitor at the office, but the graphical curves I like. Clean, simple, spare. Nice shot.
    Thanks for looking in, Pathfinder. And thanks for the comment. Now to do a bit more evaluating. I had trouble with the tonal scale myself. In order to get the black background really black, I used selective color, black. This darkened the shadows at the base of the pears. I would have liked to see a bit more detail there. Is this a bad thing the way it is?

Then there is the depth of field. #1 has a bit more sharpness in all the pears. There are wrinkles near the top and in the stems. #2 lacks this sharpness. In both, the pear in the rear is blurred. I was trying to get the drape blurred, but I could not see the blur on the pear when I shot it. Is the ideal to get all of them sharp? Or, does some blur just show that there is depth? I added the Exif data. Can you tell me how to put in the link? I couldn't do it.

I could try to shoot this again with a reflector on the left to boost the light in the shadows. Is it worth it?

I like #1 the best as it stands for technical merit, but I like the big curve on the pear on the right in #2. I took about 30 shots, so I'm not even sure I could do it again, but I could try. What do you think?
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I really do like the pears, Snappy. Very sensual, IMO. I cannot evaluate the technical things. I do like the lighting. Nothing is bothering me in the execution, I think if it bothers someone it is just a matter of one artist and another.

I really like them,

ginger
    Thanks Ginger,
    I appreciate your input.