bounced flash snapshot

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited November 11, 2009 in People
I have been playing with my flash so much more than usual lately, and since this discussion on flash, I've been liking my results so much more, too! Today I received Neil van Niekirk's book called On Camera Flash Techniques, which I hope will add even more to my flash ability.

Anyway, tonight I grabbed this quick shot and I liked it enough to share it.

705516176_KERts-XL-1.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Well done!
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Well look at you GO!! I can see that you and bounce flash have become good buddies very quickly - fantastic!

(Is the book worth getting? I may treat myself... :D)
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Excellent Elaine!!!thumb.gif

Are you using a snoot or half snoot when bouncing?
  • Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Look at the eyes! POP! Great job!:D
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • OobersOobers Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    This is a lovely shot and the expression, eyes and lighting are wonderful imo. However the curtains are a distraction and the main subject of the shot is the model, so I would crop to just beyond the wrist ( don't crop on a joint) and then clone out the bit of curtain remaining.
    Nicely done thumb.gif
    Oobers
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Thank you, everyone!

Diva - I haven't had a chance to thoroughly investigate the book yet, but it looks like it gives very practical advice. There are lots of pictures with their settings, and pictures showing a situation without flash and with flash. At first glance, it looks useful. I will say I recognized a few pictures from his site, so I'm sure some of the info is a repeat from that, but I think that is to be expected.

Jeff - I did not use a snoot in this shot. I have played with them some, but have only used a piece of black construction paper wrapped around my flash head to date (or partially wrapped around, as a flag). rolleyes1.gif But I haven't done that with people yet...only with objects. Baby steps! :D

Oobers - Actually, the main subject of this photo is my son with his two favorite animals (there is an untold back story), and he would be quite upset to have them cropped out. :D As I said in the title, it's a snapshot, so it is finished as is, for me. Thank you for your comments!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • OobersOobers Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Oobers - Actually, the main subject of this photo is my son with his two favorite animals (there is an untold back story), and he would be quite upset to have them cropped out. :D As I said in the title, it's a snapshot, so it is finished as is, for me. Thank you for your comments!
    Fair enough
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Even with the current crop configuration "environmental portrait" might fit this better than "snapshot".:D

The curtains dont bother me at all.ne_nau.gif
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Even with the current crop configuration "environmental portrait" might fit this better than "snapshot".:D

The curtains dont bother me at all.ne_nau.gif

.... A good example of "enviourmental portraiture"...
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I love the shot!!!

I have learned a lot from Neil's website. I'm sure his book is even better.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Flash rocks! Well done Elaine. Once you master that flash then you can make the decision to use available light or make your own..then opens the new world of off camera....each has it's place for whatever dynamic you wish to achieve. Keep playing and try bouncing the light with partial modifiers..it makes it look like the light is on a stand somewhere..Laughing.gif

Great for you!thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552