Options

Controlled Chaos

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited November 9, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I've never been to a ticker tape parade in NYC before and decided that the Yankees winning their 27th World Series was a good enough reason for me to take off work for a few hours and go.
There is no exact number yet, but the news stated hundreds of thousands of attendees--I could only get within three blocks of the parade route. It was insane and I never even got close enough to see even a glimpse of a Yankee player.

705388325_t6qf5-XL.jpg

705387236_6tYoz-XL.jpg

705392460_ya8Xk-XL.jpg

705400944_iiKzC-XL.jpg

705393626_YTGt4-XL.jpg

705407254_4om3c-XL.jpg

705390709_XKRHq-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Very very nice, particulary 3, 4, and 5. 2 could be great, in fact almost is great. I wonder if you can recover some of those blown highlights?

It's wonderful to go out to shoot an event. I always get so many more great pictures when I do that than when I just go out looking for I don't know what.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Man what you do with contrast is intense. They are all excellent shots. I think the sign over the policeman's head on the left in #6 is hilarious. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Liz these are awesome! Seriously, I can't believe it was just a couple of months ago that you were posting asking what dSLR to buy.... :D

SO much energy in these - great job! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Very very nice, particulary 3, 4, and 5. 2 could be great, in fact almost is great. I wonder if you can recover some of those blown highlights?

It's wonderful to go out to shoot an event. I always get so many more great pictures when I do that than when I just go out looking for I don't know what.

I know what you mean about 2--I only have access to exposure to fix the blown highlights, and if I bring down the exposure then I lose the faces.
    Also I might as well say it, the other thing wrong with #2 is the hood is visible (rookie mistake). I never use the hood, but I wanted extra protection for the parade and well I opened it up to wide and you get the fake pinhole look. But I do love the action in that shot.

#4 is actually my favorite--I wish the crowd didn't look like just bokeh though.

Thank you for looking and commenting.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Man what you do with contrast is intense. They are all excellent shots. I think the sign over the policeman's head on the left in #6 is hilarious. rolleyes1.gif

Wish I could take the credit for the contrast--it's SOOC--it's one of the filters on my camera--the only drawback is (and I found this out by calling Olympus) that it exaggerates the contrast--so the whites are much brighter and the darks are much darker. I love the look, but I get some intense blowouts.
    That sign is pretty funny.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Liz these are awesome! Seriously, I can't believe it was just a couple of months ago that you were posting asking what dSLR to buy.... :D

SO much energy in these - great job! thumb.gif

Hee hee--thanks Divamum--I've been kind of breathing, eating, sleeping with my camera since I got it. Street shooting is getting to be much more enjoyable for me, I still get nervous, but it's not as overwhelming as before.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Wish I could take the credit for the contrast--it's SOOC--it's one of the filters on my camera--the only drawback is (and I found this out by calling Olympus) that it exaggerates the contrast--so the whites are much brighter and the darks are much darker. I love the look, but I get some intense blowouts.
    That sign is pretty funny.

Okay! Two IS great! The only one that is nothing is the Yankee hat - and as part of a series, even that works. The cell phone one would be something if it wasn't for the bleeping shadows and contrast. Liz, this stuff is really wonderful - you are making phenomenal progress!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Now - from now one pretend that your camera does not have those BLEEPING FILTERS!! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Promise me you will never, ever, ever use them again. They are screwing up your photography and holding you back. Shoot RAW and convert to black and white. Seriously.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Okay! Two IS great! The only one that is nothing is the Yankee hat - and as part of a series, even that works. The cell phone one would be something if it wasn't for the bleeping shadows and contrast. Liz, this stuff is really wonderful - you are making phenomenal progress!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Now - from now one pretend that your camera does not have those BLEEPING FILTERS!! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Promise me you will never, ever, ever use them again. They are screwing up your photography and holding you back. Shoot RAW and convert to black and white. Seriously.

:D:D:D Thanks B.D--that is an incredibly nice offer.
    It's not the lightroom so much as my computer that needs replacing to be able to hold lightroom--My real computer is fried--I'm working off a very old laptop with missing keys and everything--I can't even use Gimp (free) on it as it is incrediby incredibly slow--I'm afraid if I had lightroom to it, well I won't be able to even type an email. Seriously, it takes me hours to just download photos.
    I'm thinking around the new year I will be able to get a new computer at which point I will be knocking down your door to take you up on your offer.

You made my day thanks. Hee hee in the meantime you'll see a few more high contrast shots because just switching to black and white on smug mug or picnik leaves me with nothing but grays--which is a killer.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    I find #1, #2 and #5 particularly interesting as within those pictures there is so much going on (very "Brueghel"-ish); just look at the faces…

Each picture contains a number of vignettes, each an instant in time captured and then gone. Each tells a story; the faces are interesting, and the expressions are real; they're un-posed, and totally natural.

Something you can't really set up, pose, arrange and then capture. You take the picture, and it's only later, on close examination that you realize exactly what you have.

Nice job! thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Boy, I feel energized just looking at these - and I'm not even a Yankee fan.

My favs on first viewing are 5 and 6. But the set as a whole really works.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    I find #1, #2 and #5 particularly interesting as within those pictures there is so much going on (very "Brueghel"-ish); just look at the faces…

Each picture contains a number of vignettes, each an instant in time captured and then gone. Each tells a story; the faces are interesting, and the expressions are real; they're un-posed, and totally natural.

Something you can't really set up, pose, arrange and then capture. You take the picture, and it's only later, on close examination that you realize exactly what you have.

Nice job! thumb.gif

- Wil

Will,
    You've got me looking up Brueghel, so I'm learning something.
    Thanks for your comments.
    There was so much going on around me, it truly was chaos. I'm just glad to have been able to climb on the scaffolding to get some of the shots (til a cop kicked me off:D ) then it was every man for himself.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Boy, I feel energized just looking at these - and I'm not even a Yankee fan.

My favs on first viewing are 5 and 6. But the set as a whole really works.

Virginia

Hard for me to believe that not everyone is a Yankee fan:D .
    It really was a whole lot of fun--I'm glad I was able to put a set together so that you guys could get a glimpse of it.

I too like #6, the girl was just so happy to be there--I was jealous of the shoulders she had to sit on. I could have used a pair of those.
    She was happy until idiots around her started chanting "take it off, take it off!" at which point she got down.

Thanks for looking.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    Hey Liz,

This set is just all-around terrific. You have some real talent that will, I feel, explode when your camera and computer are commensurate to your individual capabilities. I really look forward to your postings.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2009
    Hey Liz,

This set is just all-around terrific. You have some real talent that will, I feel, explode when your camera and computer are commensurate to your individual capabilities. I really look forward to your postings.

Take care,

Tom

iloveyou.gif Thank you Tom.
    I keep vascillating between this forum, the challenges and cool shots--but more and more I find myself here.
    I'm glad you look forward to my posts, that is a huge encouragement. Oh the pressure!!!:D
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    #2 is a classic.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    damonff wrote:
    #2 is a classic.

Thank you Damon.