B&W dead tree under stormy sky

craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
edited November 10, 2009 in Landscapes
I shot this one Friday morning on my way to work. I'm not quite sure what I think of it yet. What do you folks think?

705468423_vXF6c-L-1.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Canon EF 17-40 L f/4
19mm at f/8, ISO 100
http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.

Comments

• Sublim3Sublim3 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    I like it, might be a little underexposed, or it might be my crappy monitor.
    Mitch
    mitcht.smugmug.com
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Sublim3 wrote:
    I like it, might be a little underexposed, or it might be my crappy monitor.
    It is dark! Especially if your main feature is the dead tree. I presume it is in the foreground. :D

You may have your Monitor Brightness setting way too high. This would print very dark, too!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Craig, what an awesome commute you have! Do you work in the wilderness? eek7.gif

+1 on this shot being a bit on the dark side. I think a few curves would pull out some of the foreground detail nicely on the log.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Craig, what an awesome commute you have! Do you work in the wilderness? eek7.gif

No, this was shot at an officially-marked "Vista Point" along Highway 280 on the San Francisco peninsula.
    schmoo wrote:
    +1 on this shot being a bit on the dark side. I think a few curves would pull out some of the foreground detail nicely on the log.

I'll have to revisit it, then. This is actually a merge of two exposures, one of the sky with the ground totally black, and one of the ground with the sky blown out. I was worried that if I made the ground too bright, it might start looking fake next to the sky. But I'll try again and see what I can do.

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Okay, thanks for all the comments, everyone. I've reprocessed the image for a less murky look. Because I uploaded it to SmugMug as a replacement for the original, the old version is no longer available for comparison, unfortunately; so above you should see the new version if you force your browser to reload the image (refresh the page while holding down the shift key, or just clear your browser cache). I think the new version looks better. Comments?

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    Okay, thanks for all the comments, everyone. I've reprocessed the image for a less murky look. Because I uploaded it to SmugMug as a replacement for the original, the old version is no longer available for comparison, unfortunately; so above you should see the new version if you force your browser to reload the image (refresh the page while holding down the shift key, or just clear your browser cache). I think the new version looks better. Comments?
    Too me it seems marginally better. I still think it is likely you are working with Too bright a monitor. have you tried printing this image? Does it become too dark in print?

Screen Luminence should be around 120.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook