Old school Gangster

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited November 9, 2009 in People
Hi folks,
So I lurk here a whole lot, but rarely post in people.
I did my best imitation of a studio shot early today with my nephew who loved his gangster Hallowee outfit so much, he wanted pictures with it, and also grandma and his mom were pushing for it too.
So I draped black material on my closet, pointed my ceiling fan lights at him, turned on a table lamp and opened my window drapes as much as possible, and then I sat him on my bed--couldn't get the whole body--so this is a half-baked wanna-be studio shot--what do you think?

I did do a little PP work on Picnik.

1. 705939203_FEjJU-XL-1.jpg

2.705933230_sAq7f-XL-1.jpg

705940780_LzAGr-XL-1.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    I really like number 3. Two seems washed out. 1 does nothing for me.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    CyberSteak wrote:
    I really like number 3. Two seems washed out. 1 does nothing for me.

Hi CyberSteak,
    Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.
    Funny #1 is my favorite.
    I agree on the washed out or blown out, I wanted to try a different PP and probably ruined a decent shot.

I like #3 as well, but I could probably have used a hot shoe flash and some lights--but I was just playing with what I have. Playing being the key word and having a little fun.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    I really like 1... the process feels really "romantic" for original gangster. Really fun idea.. what about b&w?
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    #1 is my favorite of the set - it captures the 40's gangster look you were going for. The only thing I don't like is the fingers - the angle makes them look huge, and they're slightly floating since the rest of the hand isn't there.

On #2, what happens if you get a better WB? On this computer (only semi-calibrated right now because while Huey has tweaked it, it's not currently plugged in), his face looks quite orange. If you get a more accurate WB, would some of those highlights in the tie possibly be recoverable? (Rolll on new computer - we need to get you some processing power! thumb.gif)

#3 is a nice shot of his eyes, but has much less of the gangster thing goin' on.

Nice work, Liz!
    edited November 8, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    I really like 1... the process feels really "romantic" for original gangster. Really fun idea.. what about b&w?

Miss B!!
    So nice to see you back.

Can't convert to bw on what is available to me, it comes out grey--will save the shot though for when I do.

It's his favorite shot too btw.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 8, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    #1 is my favorite of the set - it captures the 40's gangster look you were going for. The only thing I don't like is the fingers - the angle makes them look huge, and they're slightly floating since the rest of the hand isn't there.

On #2, what happens if you get a better WB? On this computer (only semi-calibrated right now because while Huey has tweaked it, it's not currently plugged in), his face looks quite orange. If you get a more accurate WB, would some of those highlights in the tie possibly be recoverable? (Rolll on new computer - we need to get you some processing power! thumb.gif)

#3 is a nice shot of his eyes, but has much less of the gangster thing goin' on.

Nice work, Liz!

Hi Divamum,
    I have to tell you this forum "people" is where I am least comfortable, so I figured I'd push myself and give it a try.

My computer is not calibrated so it's a little hard for me to fix the image since I don't really have a grasp of how it looks to everyone else, also can't fix the WB--I'm working on getting that computer though:D . My kids just won't get toys for Christmasrolleyes1.gif .

I like #3 myself--but you are right, not gangster--actually the top of the tie makes him look priest like to me.

Thanks for commenting--and the pointers.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    I generaly like these and agree with the posted crit's but will also add one more - #3, perhaps, is under exposed. I see noise. headscratch.gif
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    I dunno about the colour and the B&W - I think it should be the one or the

other but not both.

#3 - a bit soft for the gangster image, perhaps…

#2 - not sure about this one

#1 - nice nails… (but could be cleaned perhaps…)†

Nice pics!

Thanks for sharing -

- Wil

† this is a pet peeve of mine; so often dirty nails let pics down (the devil is in the

details…)
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    prefer 1
    Nice set -- like 1 the best. Seems like it's most fitting for the reason you took it (everyone was excited about the 'gangster' look). Great work turning this out of the situation you had available. Love to hear those stories and see what people are capable of.
    edited November 9, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    I generaly like these and agree with the posted crit's but will also add one more - #3, perhaps, is under exposed. I see noise. headscratch.gif

Thank you. It is definately under exposed.
    It was a fun first fake shoot. So many details to remember, my hats off to you guys.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 9, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    I dunno about the colour and the B&W - I think it should be the one or the

other but not both.

#3 - a bit soft for the gangster image, perhaps…

#2 - not sure about this one

#1 - nice nails… (but could be cleaned perhaps…)†

Nice pics!

Thanks for sharing -

- Wil

† this is a pet peeve of mine; so often dirty nails let pics down (the devil is in the

details…)

Wow Wil,
    I was lovin the first shot so much I totally missed the fingernails--these are all details I have to work on, so many little details--can't wait to do my next one to see if there is improvement.

Thanks for the tips.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 9, 2009
    toddb wrote:
    Nice set -- like 1 the best. Seems like it's most fitting for the reason you took it (everyone was excited about the 'gangster' look). Great work turning this out of the situation you had available. Love to hear those stories and see what people are capable of.

Aww thanks Todd,
    It was fun, the kid was cool as a cucumber, nice and relaxed and took orders without batting an eye. He's used to me bossing him:D .

Next time I will move my bed out of the room and drape the entire closet to see if that works better, and get a couple more lights and see what happens.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Nice! What's a "fake" studio anyway? Looks real enough to me! clap.gif

I do like the first one best, and I think you can fix the dirty nails with some light Photoshop work.

Too bad your studio was tiny, I would've loved to see one with his full outfit!
    edited November 9, 2009
    Nice! What's a "fake" studio anyway? Looks real enough to me! clap.gif

I do like the first one best, and I think you can fix the dirty nails with some light Photoshop work.

Too bad your studio was tiny, I would've loved to see one with his full outfit!

That would have required him standing on my bed and me on my window sill.

I'm not complaining, it worked for the portrait shots, but I too wish I could have gotten a couple of full frame shots.

Will see what I can do about the fingernails.
    Thank you.
    Liz A.
    _________