Have a Rest

Ali Al-EidAli Al-Eid Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited November 9, 2009 in Landscapes
dear Photographers,,

I'm really glad to be in this forum and get free lessons from your experience :)

this is my 3rd post in this forum,, and I really need your comments, opinions, strength and weakness of my shot.

This HDR Photo is for classic fishermen ship in our heritage and culture.
3459286330_d262d3a816_o.jpg

by Canon 400D
18-55

regards,
Ali

Comments

• boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    Nicely done! If you hadn't mentioned it was HDR, I would not have guessed.

I like the contrast between the cool blue and the warm tones in the fishing boat. Compositionally, I like the shape of the boat and the angle you chose. I really like the way the rope leading and ladder add to the composition and mood. To me, they evoke a human element. Without them it could be just an abandoned boat.

Great image!
  • Ali Al-EidAli Al-Eid Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 9, 2009
    Dear Boblu262..

thx for your visit and comment ...

I appreciate your respondence with my topic..

Actually I'm new in photography, this is my first trial with HDR,,

"To me, they evoke a human element. Without them it could be just an abandoned boat."

Totally agree

best regrards
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    thumb.gif

I can tell this is an HDR but it is not an overdone one. The processing works very well with image because of the boat and the beach.

Couple comments:

The white in the sail (?) and the cloud to the rear of the boat appear to be blown.

I personally think this world work better in a portrait orientation rather than a horizontal. Since it seems to be local if can be re-shot and see what you think.

Just tone the HDR a tad more. Little much in the shoreline and the ladder.

Welcome to dgrin and keep posting!! thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 9, 2009
    Beautiful shot and I love the composition. iloveyou.gif Yeah, maybe the foreground could be toned down a bit as it looks a little hot and leads the eye away from the more interesting aspects. The white object on the bow (is that just an extension of the spine of the boat?) does seem to lack detail, although the pixels aren't blown out. Or if they were, they were recovered but lost the detail. That's a relatively small nit on an otherwise excellent image.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work. thumb.gif

-joel
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif with the foreground maybe being a touch too bright for the image, but I think whether or not to change this depends on what you're looking to do. I think this photo will do great as digital art because the whole scene looks surreal as it is. Having extremely-dramatic lighting like what HDR gives you wouldn't be a bad thing at all, in this case!