Lonely overlook

brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
edited November 10, 2009 in Landscapes
I shot this a few weeks back, did a conversion to B&W in LR - CC welcomed

706376217_UApFh-M.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    You got the title right, for sure! The empty space beyond the bench coupled with the dead trees does make this a forlorn image. :D

Personally, I think the scene is a bit too wide. I'm not sure which part of the image is the main one, so my eye travels all around it. Maybe there would be a way to approach this scene and making the elements a bit tighter, or highlighting just the bench somehow?
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    good feedback thank you :)

I did shoot a few other - I will post those later and see what you guys think. I will also play with cropping it :)
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    If your going to crop it -- try cropping down the center. Keep the right side -- Oak tree in the right part of the photo. I like how there's a bench in front of it and one nearer to it. You probably would want to remove the two big tree branches that will be in the upper right and left corners. That's my opinion tho -- only if your going to play with cropping it :D

My eye travels around this photo too, but only after it's drawn to the water in the distance first. I'd say my eye travels naturally since I want to see whats around and near the water. Amazing how people see things differently -- that's a good thing :D

Good photo brvheart thumb.gif I like the emptiness to it.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    If your going to crop it -- try cropping down the center. Keep the right side -- Oak tree in the right part of the photo. I like how there's a bench in front of it and one nearer to it. You probably would want to remove the two big tree branches that will be in the upper right and left corners. That's my opinion tho -- only if your going to play with cropping it :D

My eye travels around this photo too, but only after it's drawn to the water in the distance first. I'd say my eye travels naturally since I want to see whats around and near the water. Amazing how people see things differently -- that's a good thing :D

Good photo brvheart thumb.gif I like the emptiness to it.

I Agree, the right half of the image is where the emphasis should be. Taking out the tree on the left leaves no doubt what the subject is and does not leave your eye wander. Cool shot.
    edited November 10, 2009
    Thank you for the feedback, here is another that I shot the same day, it captured all of your thoughts that you just suggested. I am not good with cloning so I dont know what to do about the leaves....

694127937_x8D9h-L-1.jpg
    edited November 10, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    Thank you for the feedback, here is another that I shot the same day, it captured all of your thoughts that you just suggested. I am not good with cloning so I dont know what to do about the leaves....

694127937_x8D9h-L-1.jpg

I like this thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

I will try to clone them out for you with your permission. What editing software do you use?
    edited November 10, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I like this thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

I will try to clone them out for you with your permission. What editing software do you use?

Sure thing - and thank you :)

I use LR on my mac coupled with CS3....not good with either of them :)
    edited November 10, 2009
    I removed the tree branches for you really quickly. Also did some levels adjustments to bring out the shadows on the tree trunk. I like those shadows you caught in your photo :D You can see where I cloned out the branches...working on such a small photo is hard to do. I had a hard time blending it in, but in a full photo you could do this really well with it not showing up as being done.

Did you take this in bw or change it to bw?

Cloning is the first step I take in my photo editing. Getting rid of dust bunnies and tree branches, etc. :D You have the software to do this. It's a very simple step. Google cloning in CS3 and you'll get a bunch of tutorials on how to do it. It will become your best friend in CS3 rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 10, 2009
    Thank you Mary :)

I took it in color and converted to BW, also check your PM's ;)
    edited November 10, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    Thank you Mary :)

I took it in color and converted to BW, also check your PM's ;)

I checked my pm --- pm'd ya back :D

Glad you liked it. I'm off to work on a lonely place thumb.gif