Options

Quick Question, Help Please...

photomagicphotomagic Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
edited November 8, 2009 in Finishing School
Hi,

I know this might be a stupid question, but I really am not sure of the answer to it.... If I calibrated my monitor via my PC computer and I unhook my monitor from the PC and hook it up to the desktop, do I need to recalibrate my monitor?

Thanks.

Michele

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    photomagic wrote:
    Hi,

I know this might be a stupid question, but I really am not sure of the answer to it.... If I calibrated my monitor via my PC computer and I unhook my monitor from the PC and hook it up to the desktop, do I need to recalibrate my monitor?

Thanks.

Michele
    Yes, you do need to calibrate it again. The calibration data is stored on the computer, not on the monitor usually, so the 2nd computer doesn't know about the first machine's calibration thumb.gif
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    Yes, you do need to calibrate it again. The calibration data is stored on the computer, not on the monitor usually, so the 2nd computer doesn't know about the first machine's calibration thumb.gif

The term "calibrating the monitor" is really not quite accurate, actually you are calibrating the video system of your computer which consists of the monitor and the video card. If either one of those changes you need to re-calibrate. The standard is to re-calibrate the system every couple of weeks anyway. I am not sure that is really as necessary with today's LCD monitors as it was with the older CRT monitors but it is not a bad idea anyway.

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown