Foggy Morning Portraits

sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
edited November 12, 2009 in People
This session was one I donated to a silent auction. We weren't sure the rain would wait for us, but we ended up just having mist this morning. I had to cancel my afternoon session because of rain. Anyway, I couldn't believe we got the three boys to sit still!

1. 706940599_ZKNM5-L.jpg

I plan to do a little more work on this one

2. 706936663_aLso9-L.jpg

3. 706964405_yTkKi-L.jpg

4. 706926435_grDsW-L.jpg

Comments

• jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    Foggy Morning Portraits
    Good Evening,
    Very good shots, fog or otherwise. Nice composition and fall colors thumb.gif
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    That first one is especially sweet, for me! clap.gif Great expressions, positions and background! I like the softness the fog brings to the photos, but it seems overcast days can also contribute to a bit of raccoon eyes. I wonder how a touch of fill would have worked on the family shot? I would have worried about blowing out their white shirts, but I know it can be done in such a way as to help light up their eyes a bit. Nice job working with three young boys! That is a tall order!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    I actually had a little fill in many of these shots. I forgot to switch my flash mode from ttl to manual, so I think all fog threw it off? I almost always keep my flash on manual. What I needed was someone to hold a reflector for me. I didn't set up an umbrella because I was worried about a breeze knocking it down. Man, I need an assistant! I do have a reflector stand on the way, so that should help in the future.

Thanks for the feedback!

Caroline
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    That first one is a winner! I love the ethereal feel that the fog and the pastel background gives this photo.

Wondering (without recommending) what effect decreasing brightness would have on the mood of the shot...

Nice photos. AND nice of you to donate your time and talents to a fundraiser...
  • Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    #1 I like the most. The bare feet is a stroke of genius, along with that tree branch in the top right hand corner. Great series!
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Niiiicceee Caroline! thumb.gif

Re the lightstand: I made a sandbag by putting sand/rocks in a ziplock bag, and then tying that into a pillow case (you could use a pair or two of strong cotton tights, as well). You can also use rice/lentils/dried beans (not quite as heavy, but cleaner and equally inexpensive). Easy enough to carry, but heavy enough to weight down a lightstand against breezes. Worked a treat for my e-shoot (where I was on my own, too).

Btw, if you have access to one anywhere, a music stand makes a great reflector holder (Wenger style music stand, not the foldable ones which are really flimsy) - I clip mine to the stand using clothespegs or plastic work clamps.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Love #1 as well.
    I think #2 has too much shadow in the eyes, and I wish the left-most child was looking less depressed. I don't mind the one child looking off to the left.
    The kid on the left's expression in #3 is great!! Looks like he a some mischief planned.

I like #4 a lot. I think the eyes need a little lightening. The branch is a little close as well.

Where did you shoot this?

Thanks.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    I shot these at a neighborhood park- Belterra, out towards Dripping Springs.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Never been in that area. It is a very pretty park.
    We were out in Bastrop at Hyatt Lost Pines this weekend. Very lovely grounds.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    These are sweet! I love the child in the middle's expression in #4 and my favorite of the group is 1! The bare feet are super and the fog is definately a plus! Thanks for sharing!
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    They all seem they could use some more black clipping, but great set none-the-less!

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX