Options

Kids and a Playground (in color)

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited November 9, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I live in the most ethnically diverse neighborhood in the world--this is a fact. It's a love/hate relationship for me--sometimes it's too crowded, sometimes it's too dirty, sometimes you just don't gel with your neighbors because of cultural divides--but when it works it works so beautifully. The playground is such a place.
BTW, posting in color is killing me! But it was a bright sunny afternoon and I knew my b&w art filters would just not work at all today. So...

707275840_Jk5dT-XL.jpg

2. Don't know if this was out of necessity or just sheer genius or both---two little girls had a jumprope made out of rubberbands.
707307454_FThxv-XL.jpg

707306649_9Vk3B-XL.jpg

707247927_hbewt-XL.jpg

707304985_ru6k4-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    Wonderful series. I especially like #1 with all the kids displaying childhood joy in something so simple as racing each other.

I grew up (long time ago...) with those rubber band ropes in the elementary school playground. The girls had a whole series of jumping games to accompany it (not used as a true jump rope). This went along with "Jacks" and "Hopscotch" at recess and lunchtime.

And BTW, you can get used to the color. I think these shots display well in color to help facilitate the diversity theme.

Thanks for sharing such joyous shots!
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    Wonderful series. I especially like #1 with all the kids displaying childhood joy in something so simple as racing each other. ..

I think these shots display well in color to help facilitate the diversity theme.

15524779-Ti.gif I like 'em Liz.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    Wonderful series. I especially like #1 with all the kids displaying childhood joy in something so simple as racing each other.

I grew up (long time ago...) with those rubber band ropes in the elementary school playground. The girls had a whole series of jumping games to accompany it (not used as a true jump rope). This went along with "Jacks" and "Hopscotch" at recess and lunchtime.

And BTW, you can get used to the color. I think these shots display well in color to help facilitate the diversity theme.

Thanks for sharing such joyous shots!

Hi Rainbow,
    I've played hopscotch and Jacks, but the rubberband jumprope was definately new to me. It was actually a better rope than the regular one, nice and heavy.

That first shot was taken during an all out game of "red light green light", I was standing next to the person calling out the red light green light, so it looks like they are running towards me, but their goal is just to the right of me.

It was a day well spent, in the sun, with kids having fun, my kids included, doesn't get much better.

I'm glad you like it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    AndMan wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif I like 'em Liz.

Thank you AndMan.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    I gotta tell you guys, these really bug the hell out of me in color.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Colour isn't ALWAYS the anticrhist rolleyes1.gif :lol4 Seriously, right choice on these - the flare, the light, the brightness - bw would actually (for once) take those away. And I speak as a big fan of BW because the colours are usually better in my head than reality, but this time? Colour rocks it out.

Liz, you are posting some seriously awesome stuff - is there a local paper you can bludgeon into letting you contribute? I'd love to see your work published. Again, it's the ENERGY in it - just draws me right in and makes me want to know the story.

Brava! clap.gif
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    I live in the most ethnically diverse neighborhood in the world--this is a fact. It's a love/hate relationship for me--sometimes it's too crowded, sometimes it's too dirty, sometimes you just don't gel with your neighbors because of cultural divides--but when it works it works so beautifully. The playground is such a place.
    BTW, posting in color is killing me! But it was a bright sunny afternoon and I knew my b&w art filters would just not work at all today. So...

Damn, but you are really hitting your stride! But you're right - the color kinda sucks...
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Wonderful series. I particularly love #1 and #3. #3 is interesting in how the rope connects the two girls and the interaction between the boy and girl.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Colour isn't ALWAYS the anticrhist rolleyes1.gif :lol4 Seriously, right choice on these - the flare, the light, the brightness - bw would actually (for once) take those away. And I speak as a big fan of BW because the colours are usually better in my head than reality, but this time? Colour rocks it out.

Liz, you are posting some seriously awesome stuff - is there a local paper you can bludgeon into letting you contribute? I'd love to see your work published. Again, it's the ENERGY in it - just draws me right in and makes me want to know the story.

Brava! clap.gif

Awww schucks, lol. Thanks for that boost Diva.
    What I want to do is to document my neighborhood, I've done a little of that already, but this is a nice addition and I want to do a whole lot more. I want people to see the other side of NYC, not just Broadway, Statue of Liberty, skyscrapers etc.. been there done that.

My neighborhood is so cool and diverse, within 3 miles of me I can eat any Latin food, Cuban, Bolivian, Colombian etc. I can get a tamale for $1 buck on a corner from a lady selling them out of a a grocery cart, there are Chinese markets, people doing Tai Chi in the park in the morning on the way to the train, a nice influx of people from India with their colorful clothing, a lady across the street that rents her house to Japanese students (they have some seriously modern funky clothing), the illegal majong gambling house across the street from me, a transvestite community, it just goes on and on, this but the tip of the iceberg--My kid's friends are named, Koka, Tashi, Ashoya, Juan, Jumyum and Jacob my son, lol--
    I just want to capture some of that--but do what with it, I don't know.ne_nau.gif . I posted some to flickr, but that's just giving people permission to steal the images and not give me credit--but I like showing them.

Boy Diva you got me on a roll:D .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    B.D.
    damn, it looks good in black and white. Knew it would.
    I like that people are liking it in color though, maybe i should have boosted the saturation. But you know I'm a sucker for the b&w in high contrast--
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Wonderful series. I particularly love #1 and #3. #3 is interesting in how the rope connects the two girls and the interaction between the boy and girl.

Andrew thanks.
    I too like #1--it's my favorite of the ones I posted--the sheer joy just makes me smile.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    I gotta tell you guys, these really bug the hell out of me in color.

I love your b/w work. These glow in a good way though...I like the treatment.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    damonff wrote:
    I love your b/w work. These glow in a good way though...I like the treatment.

Thank you,
    I'm trying to get a little away from the b&w and I have to say I'm not as comfortable with the color.

I like the glow in the couple that have it though.
    Liz A.
    _________