Boys Will Play

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited November 10, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Took these a few weeks ago in my neighbors backyard. The neighbors babysitter had some friends over to skateboard.

I played around with the watermark that Randy showed me how to do. Placement is in different area's, but I'm not to sure about it. Thought I'd try it out here and you'd all tell me what you think :D

Shot these with my 24-105 lens. Had a hard time with it. Think I need a faster lens to get a good sharp photo along with alittle motion. If I'm wrong on that hopefully someone will clue me in on how to do that :D

706748488_VsjgX-L.jpg

707379105_zrmnT-L.jpg

707379179_aNk6F-L.jpg

Looks like this one got a double hit with a watermark. Oops :D

707580246_UiqBJ-L.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Really cool, esp the last one.

How did you shoot these? Did you use manual on your camera to select high shutter speed and then let the flash work harder?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Really cool, esp the last one.

How did you shoot these? Did you use manual on your camera to select high shutter speed and then let the flash work harder?

I used the Manual setting on some then -- Oh I hate to say this, but I went to Auto...YIKES!!! I hate that setting, but it was the only way I could get close to what I was going for in the short time I had. I'm so new to this that just getting this surprised me. They were taken around 11pm and I wanted to get them quick before they got tired. As it was 2 of them took some nasty falls and stopped.

I'd have to look at each photo to see what the setting was. I'm almost sure the 2nd one was on manual, but I darkened some. They had a double flood light set up which I thought would give me enough light, but it didn't. Flash with Auto, but not Manual.

If you would like to know the settings just let me know and I'll look them up for you :D

Glad you liked them Andrew -- thanks for commenting :D
    edited November 9, 2009
    That's fine. I'm still learning the finer points of flash, which is why I asked (trying to understand the flash lighting variables better).

Generally the Auto setting will pick 1/60th, so, if the background is inconsequential, going to 1/200 (or whatever your max sync speed is) costs you nothing (just darker background) because the flash speed is so much faster than the shutter. If you were pretty close (looks like you were) you could have played with High-Speed Sync and gone even faster on the shutter (I keep forgetting about HSS when I'm feeling stressed).
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Howdy Mary,

Really like the movement and feel that you captured with these.

Shooting moving objects at night is a difficult venue, and I think you've done very well.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Mary Kim.....I like the series....and the last two esp... I think that you should re-shoot the last two and work on the lighting.....It is a great idea and if you get the lighting worked out ..... you will have a winner......thumb.gif azzaro
    edited November 9, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    That's fine. I'm still learning the finer points of flash, which is why I asked (trying to understand the flash lighting variables better).

Generally the Auto setting will pick 1/60th, so, if the background is inconsequential, going to 1/200 (or whatever your max sync speed is) costs you nothing (just darker background) because the flash speed is so much faster than the shutter. If you were pretty close (looks like you were) you could have played with High-Speed Sync and gone even faster on the shutter (I keep forgetting about HSS when I'm feeling stressed).

Hello Andrew,

I had to check out my photo settings. You got me curious :D

#1 -- Auto, 1/60, f4 with ISO 400
    #2 -- My mistake -- this one was Shutter Priority, 1/25, f4, ISO 100 -- I did a lot of dial turning taking these rolleyes1.gif
    #3 -- This was my Manual setting, 1/4 sec,f4, ISO 100
    #4 -- Auto, same as #1

Interesting -- I didn't know Auto would pick 1/60. That's good to know. I was close to them. Too close for my 24-105. I had to back up some, but for one of them I actually went to 40mm. There were trees, wires, tables and chairs around. So I darkened them some to hone in on the skateboarders. That is what I intended to to when I was taking them.

High Speed Sync? Not a clue what that is. What is it?
    edited November 9, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Mary,

Really like the movement and feel that you captured with these.

Shooting moving objects at night is a difficult venue, and I think you've done very well.

Hi Craig,

I'm glad you liked these. I tried my best for my first time out taking photos like this. Bummer I had to resort to the "Auto" setting :cry Just pushes me more to learn.

Thank you for your kind words....it gives me encouragement to try again :D
    edited November 9, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Mary Kim.....I like the series....and the last two esp... I think that you should re-shoot the last two and work on the lighting.....It is a great idea and if you get the lighting worked out ..... you will have a winner......thumb.gif azzaro

Hi Azzaro :D

I'd love to re-shoot, but don't know if that will happen. I just looked out my back window when I heard noise and loud music and saw them out there :D Don't know if I'll see them at this again.

As for the last two...he was the only one left not hurt by the end of the shoot.

They were willing to move the flood lighting for me, but I said not to bother. I should of done that tho.

If there is a next time I'll post again what I get.

Thanks Azzaro for your comments and taking a look. I'm happy you liked the last two the best...they were the hubby's favorite to. Me...I haven't picked a fav yet.
    edited November 9, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Hello Andrew,

I had to check out my photo settings. You got me curious :D

#1 -- Auto, 1/60, f4 with ISO 400
    #2 -- My mistake -- this one was Shutter Priority, 1/25, f4, ISO 100 -- I did a lot of dial turning taking these rolleyes1.gif
    #3 -- This was my Manual setting, 1/4 sec,f4, ISO 100
    #4 -- Auto, same as #1

Interesting -- I didn't know Auto would pick 1/60. That's good to know. I was close to them. Too close for my 24-105. I had to back up some, but for one of them I actually went to 40mm. There were trees, wires, tables and chairs around. So I darkened them some to hone in on the skateboarders. That is what I intended to to when I was taking them.

High Speed Sync? Not a clue what that is. What is it?

Are you shooting w/ Canon or Nikon? I can be more lucid on Canon since I've never owned a Nikon setup...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 9, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Are you shooting w/ Canon or Nikon? I can be more lucid on Canon since I've never owned a Nikon setup...

Canon :D 40D
    edited November 10, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Canon :D 40D

According to my web search, only 50D and the 5D, 7D, 1D series have the micro adjust, so no luck there.

If you have a 430 or 580 series flash, (I don't know if the on-camera flash has this option), there is a button that selects normal/HSS/Rear Curtain. The HSS allows the flash to trigger with shutter speeds faster than 1/200sec by sending out a burst of less-bright flash to make a longer period that the covers the shutter period.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Hi Mary Kim

These are just wonderful action shots (especially 1 & 4). The fact that you were able to obscure the BG really makes these pop. They just wouldn't be anywhere near as nice taken in daylight. clap.gifclap.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited November 10, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    According to my web search, only 50D and the 5D, 7D, 1D series have the micro adjust, so no luck there.

If you have a 430 or 580 series flash, (I don't know if the on-camera flash has this option), there is a button that selects normal/HSS/Rear Curtain. The HSS allows the flash to trigger with shutter speeds faster than 1/200sec by sending out a burst of less-bright flash to make a longer period that the covers the shutter period.

My only flash was on-camera. I'm really interested in the HSS ability. If my camera can't do it - that just gives me another good reason to get a new camera :D

Thanks for checking on this for me Andrew :D:D:D That was very kind of you.
    edited November 10, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Hi Mary Kim

These are just wonderful action shots (especially 1 & 4). The fact that you were able to obscure the BG really makes these pop. They just wouldn't be anywhere near as nice taken in daylight. clap.gifclap.gif

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your nice comment :D I like the background to..hoping it would make the guys pop out some. Just the guys with their boards.
    Your right...daylight just won't have the punch to it.

Thanks for taking a look :D