Canon Digital Photo Pro/Codec

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited November 17, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Has anyone tried using the Canon Digital Photo Pro editor on 64-bit Vista with D7 CR2 files? It can open the files, display them, and I can edit them, but when I try to export a jpg I get an error saying that the Codec available doesn't support the file. I've downloaded and installed the latest codec from the Canon site, re-booted and such, but is s PhotoPro still cannot export jpgs from raw images.

I'm currently downloading the latest ACR so I can try things in PS next.

Any hint or pointers appreciated...

Thanks,

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 17, 2009
    Do you have DPP 3.7.2?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Yes, I had done a update from the Canon site to be sure and double checked the about box.

I waiting for a response from Canon via the email support. They were pretty quick in getting back on my initial email which asked for more info. They haven't responded yet to the info I sent to them.

DPP has no trouble displaying CR2 or CRW files, just saving them as .jpgs. I think there is a codec somewhere because I use Directory Opus ( http://www.gpsoft.com.au/ ) as a file explorer and it has no trouble displaying CR2 or CRW files.

I'll see what Canon has to say... it may come down to some kind of 64bit issue (Vista 64).
    David_S85 wrote:
    Do you have DPP 3.7.2?
    edited November 17, 2009
    OK, Canon hasn't gotten back to me, but after poking around a bit more I think I have found the secret of fire...

When I used the File->Save As function DPP opens the Explorer (Vista 64) to pick a place to save the photo. Explorer is complaining that it lacks a Codec, not DPP.

In DPP if instead I use the File->Convert And Save function, everything works as expected.

Duh!!!

Dan7312 wrote:
    Yes, I had done a update from the Canon site to be sure and double checked the about box.

I waiting for a response from Canon via the email support. They were pretty quick in getting back on my initial email which asked for more info. They haven't responded yet to the info I sent to them.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 17, 2009
    Glad to hear you found a workaround. You might want to check out Kyle's post in this thread. The 7D appears in the list of cameras supported by the codecs. FWIW.
    edited November 17, 2009
    Thanks for the pointer.thumb.gif Right now though I don't make much use of Explorer... I use Directory Opus instead... simply because there are a whole bunch of viewer and other issues it handles better than Explorer does, which I need for me "real":D work.
    Richard wrote:
    Glad to hear you found a workaround. You might want to check out Kyle's post in this thread. The 7D appears in the list of cameras supported by the codecs. FWIW.
  • CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Dan7312 wrote:
    Thanks for the pointer.thumb.gif Right now though I don't make much use of Explorer... I use Directory Opus instead... simply because there are a whole bunch of viewer and other issues it handles better than Explorer does, which I need for me "real":D work.

If you are using Vista 64bit, look in the Programs x86 folder. Somewhere in Vista 64 bit there is a 32 bit explorer ( I think it is in the programs x86 folder; I would look except now i am on Windows 7) which plays much more nicely with the codecs. Make a shortcut for it or drag the .exe file to the taskbar.