3 shoots, one day......C&C please

Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
edited November 17, 2009 in People
Hey Guys and Gals,

Well, saturday was a busy day for me. It started at 8am with a shoot and it was 0 Celsius, oh so much fun :D Anyhow, then it was off to another part of Montreal for my 11:30am shoot and then finally another part of town for my 2pm shoot. Needless to say I was exhausted when I got home to my 2 kids who wanted to play :rofl

Anyhow, I just started to work on these and wanted to see if anyone had any comment or critique.

Thanks,
Joe

1. Ashley
708340520_FUMyu-X2.jpg

2. Nancy
708340263_Kw9gE-X2.jpg

3. Mikaela
708339817_hv72W-X2.jpg
Joe
North View Studio
http://www.zoradphotography.com
Montreal, Canada

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    No 1 is a great idea but she has what is called racoon eyes. The sockets are dark due to the overhead lighting. Put a reflector or scrim over her head to block that overhead light and the face will pop.
    No 2 with her squating behind the tree looks awkard. It looks much better with a tighter crop.
    No 3 is the best of the group. Watch out for the highlight on the tip of the nose.
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Wow, I don't know how you did it...Laughing.gif
    I did two photo sessions in one day and was killed.

1)Great Photo only nit I would have removed the leaf off her back or clone it out.

2)I agree I think a different angle would help the shot.
    3)My fav only nit is the hot spot on the nose.

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Thanks guys! I do want to get myself a scrim or build one at home, but alas, the funds are a little short, and don't see them getting any better until after the new year :cry

Thanks for pointing out the hot spot on the nose, I completely missed it. I'm going to try a few things to try and even it out a bit.

I'm going to clone out the leaf, cause it does bother me also.

Yeah, three shoots in one day was a bit nutty, and my legs, knees, back and shoulders are paying for it still today! rolleyes1.gif I hate getting old. :D

I'll post more when I get done, or close to being done for further review.
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Wow Joe, those are nice! I like all 3 of them, but 1 and 3 are my favs. The first thing that jumped out for me in the 1st was the oof red car to the left though (I think just because of the fact that it is red because it is nicely oof). Her hair is amazing in that shot! I hope that you are recovering from your tiring day. Too bad all 3 shoots coudn't have been right in the same spot. I also need to get or make a scrim. I use a ton of natural light....(okay, exclusively!) so it really should be on my to own list. I was thinking of using one of my daughter's hula hoops and sewing on a fine fabric to let some light in but not the whole overhead flow. It would be easy to do with someone helping out but I'm not sure how I'd keep it up without help headscratch.gif These are great! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to the rest of the set(S)!
    edited November 10, 2009
    Joe, you don't need anything fancy for a scrim. Go to Michaels or any other craft type store and get a piece of black and a piece of white corrigated cardboard and you've got a scrim and a reflector.
    edited November 10, 2009
    Joe, you don't need anything fancy for a scrim. Go to Michaels or any other craft type store and get a piece of black and a piece of white corrigated cardboard and you've got a scrim and a reflector.

I actually have a 4 foot 5 in 1 reflector, but it was pretty windy and didn't have a mounting system for a tripod for it, nor did I have an assistant to help out, so that was a bust. ne_nau.gif

I have been mulling around in my cranium a design where I could get some PVC pipes where I could break it down after use, and different fabric to either block light or act as a diffuser and get my wife to sew the edges so I could just slip the PVC through it......it's just the little inventor in me coming out! rolleyes1.gif

Then again, I could just ask Santa for a Scrim Jim from Wescott for Christmas.......maybe my wish will come true!

Anyhow, here is another shot from Saturday, let me know what you think.

709691533_Hzcxg-X2.jpg
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Gotta step in here and say I like #2 the best of the four.
    One thing though that bothers me uniformly in the first three is the teenie-tiny point-like catch-lights smack in the middle of the pupil.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited November 10, 2009
    Joe, I like this one alot. clap.gif Very nice job. If you were to enter it in print competition there would be some concerns but they are picky and I don't agree with them at times. They would tell you that you have a high key bkg but your clothing choice is dark. Generally they like to see you match the clothing to the bkg. Light with light and then dark with dark. If you had a dark bkg then her face would really draw the attention. As it stands now her jacket seems to catch my eye after the sky.
    edited November 11, 2009
    Gotta step in here and say I like #2 the best of the four.
    One thing though that bothers me uniformly in the first three is the teenie-tiny point-like catch-lights smack in the middle of the pupil.

Thanks Icebear! The pin points are from the on-camera speedlight. I am pretty desperate for something to be able to get my flash off camera. I've been trying to research the best way to do this, and the least expensive way too :D

Charles:

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I think I'm going to try and dodge and burn the face a little to try and make it slightly darker, and same for the sky. I'll post it again once I get a chance to play with it.

Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Very nice! #3 is a winner!

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

edited November 16, 2009
    So I have one of the shoots from the three finished. I've included the two types of precessing for review. Let me know which one you like the best. Any C&C welcome.

Thanks,
    Joe

713695955_k6g3e-X2.jpg

713695050_2VzrP-X2.jpg

713699523_Cf9t8-X2.jpg

713719500_Dzf89-X2.jpg

713704789_mcVoH-X2.jpg

713703702_T3EMq-X2.jpg

713718503_do7MX-X2.jpg

713706706_2m94W-X2.jpg

713705791_h6VBZ-X2.jpg

713718262_DezY2-X2.jpg

713709909_a2B6X-X2.jpg

713711016_nKXCh-X2.jpg

713714368_VvN2h-X2.jpg

713713374_hm5yJ-X2.jpg

Personally, I like the shots that are desaturated as far as PP. What do you think?
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Love the red hair, so I prefer the color versions over the desats....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I like the regular on the first 2 and the desat on the third. I think the processing on the last section of the set looks cool. The desat on the first two seems very Twilight to me. Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing to you, that is just what it reminded me of. I think #11 is my favorite of the bunch.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    No 1 is a great idea but she has what is called racoon eyes. The sockets are dark due to the overhead lighting. Put a reflector or scrim over her head to block that overhead light and the face will pop.
    No 2 with her squating behind the tree looks awkard. It looks much better with a tighter crop.
    No 3 is the best of the group. Watch out for the highlight on the tip of the nose.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
    edited November 17, 2009
    Thanks to all of you who have replied with your comments. I appreciate your input as it will definitely help me grow and become better at looking for the little details which can take away from a shot. clap.gif

It's been fun shooting with all these different models, some more experienced than others so it's helped in my directing skills also. I'm working on another set from the three and will hopefully post soon with the results.

Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada