Family Photos at Sunset....

CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited November 11, 2009 in People
Hi all. I haven't posted in a while. We really wanted to get out and take some family photos in the fall colors....the weather this year just didn't cooperate very well this year....too many weekends were rained out. We finally got some nice weather (almost unseasonably warm) this past weekend and made it out to Manassas Battlefields for a quick session at sunset. Would appreciate any thoughts or c and c....like....suggestions (or even an example!) of how to attempt to correct the skin tones in some of the warmer ones.

I shot this entire session with my 100mm 2.8 macro lens. I should also mention, I just recently bought a Mac and the only software I have on here is iPhoto, so I'm currently pretty limited in the amount of touch-ups I can do w/o swapping back over to my Windows laptop (which I almost feel dirty using, now that I've been using my Mac almost exclusively :D )

This first series, they were basically standing slightly uphill from me. The light was pretty much at it's "warmest" here. The skin tones are pretty orange-y.

1. My youngest...the hardest of the bunch to get to look at the camera / stand still throughout the session.
708613156_8Y7LX-M-1.jpg

2. My oldest. We took her glasses off for most of the shots, though I think I have one later in the series where I left them on.
708612976_jBMw4-M-1.jpg

3. My middle girl. She's going through a tough smiling phase. She's got a missing tooth, one coming in crooked, and she has a tendency to squint, or think she's opening her eyes when she's really just raising her eyebrows.
708613436_ZYNFK-M-1.jpg

708613979_cDwKU-M-1.jpg

708613743_YSzPr-M-1.jpg

708612733_HCc6y-M-1.jpg

7. We moved to one of the fence lines for these. The light was still pretty darn orange-y.
708614210_Dvn8y-M-1.jpg

708614477_T639V-M-1.jpg

708615467_AMELG-M-1.jpg

708615357_oWNPy-M-1.jpg

708614720_4fv3N-M-1.jpg

12. This was one of those that I wish i'd spent some more time setting up / composing because the grass was catching the light really nice. As it was, we were just walking towards the cannons in the next series and I snapped it really quickly, but I still like it.
708615742_UphL8-M-1.jpg

708617665_odBH9-M-1.jpg

708617382_qX6Jp-M-1.jpg

708616324_WpmTM-M-1.jpg

16. Boys and big guns...
708620003_p447y-M-1.jpg

17. Not the greatest composition (this is uncropped), but it was one of the few that I liked where she had her glasses on.
708619333_TjsqL-M-1.jpg

....and these are my favorites of the whole bunch! Several of my wife...probably the best photos I've taken of her in our 11 years. :D:D :lust :lust

18. With her glasses and smiling.
708618039_zDkZS-M-1.jpg

19. With glasses and serious.
708618309_2bAFT-M-1.jpg

20. And a set without her glasses, which I think I like better.....i just wish I'd taken them from her instead of her holding them.
708618691_U4PNP-M-2.jpg

708619119_PvFHK-M-1.jpg

and last but not least....we let the nine year old snap a couple of us together.
708619581_xgiRc-M-1.jpg

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm all ears!

~jb
Justin Benson
CTU Photography

Comments

• PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Nice Series & you got some Great Shotsclap.gif

1)Nice shot I think if his body was turned a bit it would have helped.
    2)Great pose, nice shot you might want to bring the exposure down a bit.
    3)Wish her eyes where open more
    4)Great Shot
    5)Nice b&w shot
    6)Great Shot this is what I was referring to in shot #1. see how the different angle helps the photo.

7)Great Shot
    8)Great Shot
    9)Great Shot
    10)Love this one looks like her personality is coming out as she is relaxing more.

11)Great Shot
    12)Nice Shot
    13)Love this shot
    14)Love this shot
    15)Love this shot
    16)Nice shot
    17)Nice shot
    18)Great smile just wish her arm was resting on the wheel more. It looks kinda weird sticking out so far.

19)Nice Shot
    20)Great Shot ...arm
    21)Great Shot ...arm
    22)Great Shot just wish you had your hand holding hers.

Take Care & Thanks for sharing
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Thx!
    Nice Series & you got some Great Shotsclap.gif

1)Nice shot I think if his body was turned a bit it would have helped.
    2)Great pose, nice shot you might want to bring the exposure down a bit.
    3)Wish her eyes where open more
    4)Great Shot
    5)Nice b&w shot
    6)Great Shot this is what I was referring to in shot #1. see how the different angle helps the photo.

7)Great Shot
    8)Great Shot
    9)Great Shot
    10)Love this one looks like her personality is coming out as she is relaxing more.

11)Great Shot
    12)Nice Shot
    13)Love this shot
    14)Love this shot
    15)Love this shot
    16)Nice shot
    17)Nice shot
    18)Great smile just wish her arm was resting on the wheel more. It looks kinda weird sticking out so far.

19)Nice Shot
    20)Great Shot ...arm
    21)Great Shot ...arm
    22)Great Shot just wish you had your hand holding hers.

Take Care & Thanks for sharing
    Charles

Thanks for the compliments Charles.
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    All around great pictures. The sun was warm but what's wrong with that. It gives a real "feel" to the photos. Your kids are very photogenic! It is hard to get everybody posed (I know!). I did a shoot with my gang last weekend. (I'll get those up soon when I download my card). You had some great light (its been ultra drury here lately) Thanks for sharing! And I agree that those are wonderful of your wife. Gorgeous family, you should be proud! :D
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    kidzmom wrote:
    All around great pictures. The sun was warm but what's wrong with that. It gives a real "feel" to the photos. Your kids are very photogenic! It is hard to get everybody posed (I know!). I did a shoot with my gang last weekend. (I'll get those up soon when I download my card). You had some great light (its been ultra drury here lately) Thanks for sharing! And I agree that those are wonderful of your wife. Gorgeous family, you should be proud! :D

Thanks so much for the compliments. I'm telling you, it took forever to line up the nice weather with a weekend. We've had our share of drury here too...like today....non-stop drizzle! You're right on the light....not necessarily anything wrong with warm light (better than flat images)...I've just gotten had my share of "skin tone" feedback on here, and iPhoto's not much for adjusting that. Can't wait till the first of the year when I'll be getting photoshop for my Mac. :D

Thx again for the compliments.

~jb
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography